Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
IDE HDD (Quantum Fireball CX) crashed on a Compaq Presario 5461, replacing with Serial ATA WD800JD. Have installed Serial ATA Host Adapter PCI on Gigabyte GA-5SMM MoBo.
Connected new HDD to SATA Adapter with WD Serial ATA Cable w/secureConnect.
Question 1. What do I do with the HDD/IDE1 ribbon cable. Do I remove it or leave it connected to the MoBo.

The SATA host adapter came with drivers on a CD.
Also the Windows XP Operating sys is on a CD. I'm not sure about the order of installation.
Question 2: How can I load the SATA Drivers without an operable HDD?
Question 3: Will I be able to install Operating Sys. without loading the SATA drivers?
Thanks JR

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF:

Darn I am disappointed to see they still dont make the literature or info worth a crap as to how to install the sata controller cards or activate sata controllers on mobo's for that mattter !!! I think they just expect people to be born knowing this stuff ?????

1) the HDD IDE 1 cable sounds to me like you bought the controller that can either use IDE drives or SATA drives / therfore if you dont have a IDE drive to connect to it / then remove it and put if away for a later date maybe

2) the sata drivers are on the CD / however you must prepare a floppy disk and copy them to the floppy disk because the win xp OS disk will need to be in the cd-rom drive as you will need to boot from the Win XP CD to install the OS / at the beginning of the win xp install process you will see a prompt "to install a third party or scsi controller Press F6" at that time you press the F6 key and it should scan the floppy drive and find the sata controller driver you copied to the floppy

3) No >> you cant install the OS to the SATA drive without the sata controller drivers

4) there should be a utility called MAKEDISK.EXE on the controllers CD / put a new floppy disk in the floppy drive and click on the MAKEDISK.EXE that will prepare the floppy for DOS and put the driver on it also :)

hope this sheds some light on things for you / if you need more help please give us the make and model of the controller card

regards

joe

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good tips

Linderman, thanks for the explicit suggestions. It's 5 to 5, top of the ninth and way past this old mans bed time. I will get right on it first light. I really appreciate your time. I'll provide you feed back as soon as I give it a try.
Jim

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cannot find HDD

Entered OS Disc in CD Drive. No MAKEDISK.EXE on the controllers CD.
Formatted Floppy and Downloaded Drivers from Manufacturer - CP Technologies, unpacked and copied to floppy. Was prompted to press F6. Given a choice to load SATA Drivers for XP or NT, Chose XP and pushed enter. Next option load manufacture drivers or use Windows drivers. "They indicated that Windows already had the drivers for this particular Adapter. I tried both. Each time it would go through the process of loading drivers then state it was ready to begin Setup for Windows XP Home Edition. When I hit enter the message comes up cannot find hard drive F3 to exit. I've set a mssg to CP Technologies. Awaiting their reply. Any other suggestions. This is interesting, the last time I was inside a computer it was a 286. Won't tell you the year.
JR

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.