Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Needed some help in determining an error I'm picking up.

Can someone with a working installation of SP2 navigate to C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles and let me know of the size of the file and possibly its contents (if there's not too many).

Mines blank this morning :sad:

Appreciate all the help.

·
Registered
35 Posts
this particularly directory isn't there

Hi,

I have XP SP2 but this particular directory isn't there. There are a load of uninstall ones though and $NtServicePackUninstallNLSDownlevelMapping$ and $NtServicePackUninstallIDNMitigationAPIs$

:4-dontkno

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Tina777,

Right. The uninstalls are left overs which I delete anyway as they cramp up the space while I'm not about to undelete them, so not needed. You get them with SP2 and SP3 "updates".

If you don't have the directory, I'm presuming its safe to have nothing there for me too. But its one area I've never looked at in Windows so I'm not sure. I recall reading some MS article in regards to a problem where it mentioned to navigate to a file under this directory, IF you have SP2 installed.

That worries me

Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Relax

If you don't have a current problem why worry?

You might be on the next service pack before you get that problem.

Relax! :smile:

Tina!

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure if I have one or not, you see.

Don't worry, I have a broken shin.. so I'm relaxing alright!

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK. I've found out.

When you install SP2 on a WinXP, the installation procedure actually creates a set of folders inside of the Win folder "ServicePackFiles\i386" in which the OS keeps copies of all the main OS files replaced by SP2. This folder is then used by Windows File Protection in the event that a crucial system file needs to be replaced.
Additionally the OS uses the ServicePackFiles\i386 folder to store those files that are needed to install optional Windows components that aren't installed by default. Right. Now this ServicePackFiles\i386 folder occupies around 530MB of disk space.

Reason I don't have it is all good then. ;wink:

Thanks much Tina

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.