Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am posting from my iPod (so sorry if my English is rather bad) and puts me to making this topic. I travel too much and I am thinking of buying of a laptop, but the common you cannot replace the graphics card came to me. But I have heard certant laptops you can change them. Can anyone help me find a laptop that is able to do so.

·
Banned
4,862 Posts
It can be somewhat difficult to identify which laptops have replaceable GPUs and which don't. It would be best to buy a laptop that already has a decent GPU. The Asus G50VT series is decent for the price, and I believe Gateway had a very good gaming laptop for around ~$800-900. Avoid Alienware laptops, as they are unreliable and very overpriced.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply, and I will look around for the gateway laptops. But I was hoping to get some information about some laptops that can be upgradeable because everything else like the harddrive and CPU is good, but the graphics card sucks.

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
That's typical with laptops , good cpu , ram , but bad graphics , makes the rest of the machine virtually unusable.

Generally the only way to change a laptop gpu is to find a laptop series with gpu options, and choose the lower end option. Then hopefully in the future find a broken version of the laptop that had the higher end gpu in it and swap it out. Most removeable gpu's in laptops can't be used in different machines.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IDE throw that little sucker away. :) but I'm currently not home still, can someone point me to a laptop that can change graphics cards? It's a little hard with an iPod touch :p

·
Banned
4,862 Posts
Why not get a laptop with a decent GPU in the first place?

"Laptop" and "upgradeable" are two words that do not belong in the same sentence, like "jam" and "pus". There are very few laptops where the GPU is upgradeable, and generally the only options are onboard, low end, and slightly less low end, and very occasionally you'll find one that offers a high end GPU, but you have to pay an arm and a leg for it.

If you want upgradeability, build a desktop. Laptops are meant for convenience and portability.

·
Banned
4,862 Posts
Oh, well Doom 3 is pretty old, you don't need a ton of horsepower to play it on high. My 9500GT maxed it out. You'll want better than onboard graphics, but you won't need a 9800M GTS or anything.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You probally thought I wanted crysis maxed out :p. Can you try to help me find something like $600max on a laptop that will run doom 3 maxed out?Oh and btw I ran crysis with an ATI x700 :wink:

·
Banned
4,862 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you so much! I am for sure to buy this! You see i like to play games like wolfenstein et or slot of free fps games and if I can play doom on max graphics should be perfect you know? And I'm abit crazy with photoshop :D

·
Banned
4,862 Posts
This is a good deal for $700:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152126
With a 9600M GT, that's a very good graphics card for that price range.

This should work as well:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114702
Though it is much lower spec'd than the MSI.

This has a GT220, another in the range of the 9500GT:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220638
Decent deal for $650

The HP is the best of all of these. If you can't scrape up the money and the price goes up before you can get it, then one of those three would do in its place, though they aren't quite as good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.