Tech Support Forum banner

A question regarding HUB's and networking! Fast Reply Pls!

939 Views 19 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  KezzeR
Well, it's a long story, but i hope you'll read and try to help me

Well, I have bought a new PC today for my bedroom. In 2days my ISP (BT) is sending me a HUB so that both PC's can use the internet.

Now, the problem is.

The HUB is located upstairs, and my house is a splitlevel house. Now, between the HUB upstairs and my bedroom (Where the new PC is going) their is concrete flooring.

Now one of the guys at PCworld said a wireless network wouldn't go through concrete. So i rang my ISP and they said to get "Ethernet". I don't know what exactly ethernet is..

Can somebody go to www.pcworld.co.uk and tell me which product to buy to solve my problem. If the product isn't there, can you tell me how to solve the problem.

I need to buy from PCworld because it is a store near me and i don't have a creditcard, So i reserve my items online and pick it up at the store..

Thankyou for reading and have a very happy christmas and new years!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Ethernet is wired versus wireless. This means you'll run an eight conductor "wire" (network cable) between the bedroom and the hub.
Most likely your setup will include a modem to which the wire coming into the house from British Telecom will connect. From that modem you'll run a network cable to the modem. And then one network cable each from the hub to to the 2 computers.
Actually, somewhere in the mix you'll need a broadband router, since it's likely that BT only gives you one public IP address.
That's interesting. I ran 2 computers off a broadband modem and an old Linksys 10 megabit hub for nearly 5 years with no problems. The configuration worked fine. Was there a problem I was unaware of?
Hmm, right now im wondering if this will work..

My new PC already has an ethernet adapter inside so the PC so..

I'll run the ethernet cable from the PC to the HUB.
The from the HUB i'll run a phone line to my other pc's modem, and then from the modem into the phoneline.
Would this work?
Hard to say. The issue is the type of service provided by BT.

If they are providing a broadband connection (something other than regular 56K dial up support) then each machine will need an ethernet adapter and each machine will need an ethernet cable from their adpater to the hub.
The hub then needs an ethernet cable from it to the modem.
From all the info I have gathered here I am assuming BT is your ISP that supplies you with DSL service.
They are going to give you a hub (I'm actually suprised that an ISP is willing to give you something for free) so you can share your broadband connection.
With that in mind that they are giving you a hub, I am also going to assume that the modem that you currently have has a router biult in.
Please correct any of these assumptions.

With the above in mind. You will need to run an ethernet or CAT5 cable from the hub to your bedroom. This means that you will either have to drive a hole through the concrete or run the cable through the hallways and down the stairs.
The from the HUB i'll run a phone line to my other pc's modem, and then from the modem into the phoneline.
Would this work?
This will not work Phone and ethernet are to different technologies.

Another option, would be powerline networking. I have never used this but maybe someone here has tired it.
http://www.netgear.com/Products/PowerlineNetworking.aspx?for=All
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...942301&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper
See less See more
My modem does not have an inbuilt router. Also, i've found something else out too.

The HUB that my ISP (BT) are giving me is the BT Home HUB. I've read reviews and it appears to be the most advanced HUB of it's kind.

It has an inbuilt router for wireless, It has slots for ethernet, It's also a HUB.
So, my problem lies, How to connect both PC's to use the internet at the same time?

The PC upstairs could use a wireless network to connect to the HUB (Router). However, i think the bedroom will need a ethernet cable running through the concrete.

What do you think?
It has an inbuilt router for wireless, It has slots for ethernet, It's also a HUB.
So, my problem lies, How to connect both PC's to use the internet at the same time?
Since the hub they are supplying you is a router, you would not need any extra equipment besides cable. all you would need to do is connect your cable comming from the modem to the WAN port of the router. Then connect both computers to the LAN ports of the router.
The PC upstairs could use a wireless network to connect to the HUB (Router). However, i think the bedroom will need a ethernet cable running through the concrete.
Wireless does not like concrete, however if the distance is short it probably would work. All you can do is try. If it doesn't work, you may need to drill a hole through the concrete to run the ethernet (CAT5) cable.
According to the information at www.bt.com, the home hub is indeed a modem and a firewall as well as a wired and wireless router.
The User's Guide indicates the Hub is can support 2 wired connections plus wireless.
But the issue of running a CAT cable through the concrete floor is complicating the project. If it were me I'd be using the Contact Option at www.bt.com and asking them their experience with the wireless's penetration of concrete. You'll need to tell them about the location of the bedroom computer relative to the hub's intended location - directly above, above and some number of feet in some direction. Depending on their response I'd be asking them about options.

A couple of things to consider:
1. the CAT cable could be run outside, maybe out a window on the second floor and back in the bedroom's window.
2. the hub does not require a special wall jack. It can be connected to BT's service from any wall jack in the home. This means you could position the hub on the floor in the room directly above the bedroom to reduce the distance the wireless signal must travel - shorter travel means stronger signal and a greater chance the signal will penetrate the concrete floor. Of course positioning the hub in a room other than where the upstairs computer is located may change how you connect it to the hub.

Regardless of the approach used to connect the bedroom computer - wired or wireless - you'll still need a compatible adapter in the bedroom computer. same thing applies to the upstairs computer.
See less See more
I already have drilled holes into my bedroom. We are running it from the upstairs room, into the loft and then down into my bedroom. This avoids the concrete.

The PC upstairs is rather old and doesn't have an ethernet card. Would i need the exact same ethernet card as my new PC?

Then i take it i just wire both PC's to the HUB with ethernet wires?
The PC is rather old and doesn't have an ethernet card. Would i need the exact same ethernet card as my new PC?
No, it does not have to be the same card.

Then i take it i just wire both PC's to the HUB with ethernet wires?
Correct.
Ok but i thing i read something about, If my new PC's ethernet card is 10MBPS, Then the old PC's has to be 10MBPS too.

How can i find out what my current ethernet's speeds is?
I would doubt that the new one would be 10Mb. Most likely 10/100Mb. Most cards and hubs/switches are auto negotiating. Meaning if you have a 10 Mb NIC connected to a 10/100Mb switch, the switch will automatically run that port at 10Mb.
So i should buy an 10/100MB card for my old PC, and then linkboth to the HUb via an ethernet cable. And this will allow me to use the internet on both at the same time as well?
Yes that should be fine. They should both be able to connect to the internet.
My modem does not have an inbuilt router. Also, i've found something else out too.

The HUB that my ISP (BT) are giving me is the BT Home HUB. I've read reviews and it appears to be the most advanced HUB of it's kind.

What do you think?
Hint, the description you just gave of the "advanced hub" is a router. :rolleyes:
Well i took the name from what BT call it.

"The BT Home HUB" - So complain to them :wave:
I don't think BT is here asking questions. :laugh:
Well the HUB came today, it's on my new PC atm, weekend im going to buy ethernet card and 20metre ethernet cable for old PC.

Wish me luck :D
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.