Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sup guys,

i'm having trouble with what it seems like, my motherboard.. but i'm not sure.
I recently called my manufacturer because my pc wasn't turning on. We went through the basic troubleshooting process of taking out the mobo, and putting it on good a nonmetal surface for good grounding. It turned on ok.
I put an antistatic bag between the mobo and the casing to prevent any further static or electrical issues (tell me if this is a bad idea plz :))

But, from that point on.. it seems like when i turn on my pc, it goes on full power; fans are as loud as they should be, the lights inside are bright etc..
then not even 2 seconds after that happens, it seems like the power decreases. The fans are definitely running slower and the lights inside my case have dimmed. Now when I play games, my Geforce 6800 gt sends me temperature messages about it exceeding its threshold for heat, which has never happened before and i'm sure is happening because of this problem.

I'm completely baffled to why this would happen right after i boot up..
my systems specs are:
AMD 64 3200+ on Abit-Av8
1GB Corsair ram
SurePower 450W Power Supply
Audigy 2 ZS
PNY GeForce 6800 GT
2 Maxtor HD's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, i'm stumped :(

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
bad idea get rid of the bag
check you have the correct amount of standoffs and they are in the correct position and when fitting the m/b do not overtighten the fastening screws
check the cpu fan and heatsink are fitted properly,with the correct amount of grease
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm
try it with the side off and point a house fan in,see it improves

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
hi,

ive never heard of the brand surepower but try can try a spare power supply and see if your problem goes away. if you dont have a spare power supply i suggest that you go to your local computer store and purchase a good quality power supply such as antec or enermax.

also go in the bios and change your cpu temps. good luck.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I agree with dai, get rid of the bag. While you have the motherboard out of the case I would repeat the bench test of the motherboard again. Place it on a non conductive surface and boot the machine and see if it has the power issues you described while it is out of the case. Let it run for a while and see if your Video card still complains.

Make sure the board has adequate cooling while your doing this. If your problems go away then as dai said check to see if all the standoffs are in the correct place. Inspect everything carefully, you may be shorting the board somewhere or have a damaged solder joint.

If everything looks good but your machine still browns out then I would try another power supply.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sweet, thanks alot for the input guys.. going to try as soon i get home. I'll let ya know :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.