Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There Guys...
This is going to be a long one...Sorry:1angel:

We have a Toshiba A60 laptop. We also have a a normal PC and we use a Belkin high speed mode wireless ( although we use it wired ) G router.
We have used this set up for nearly 12 months and everything has been fine.

Until...

The laptop started to go on a go slow campaign and my husband decided to have a 'play'.
Ever since then, the normal PC will only run when bypassing the router, (being connected straight to the broadband modem) and the laptop will not connect to the internet fullstop With or without the router.

We have tried connecting the Laptop straight to the broadband modem...We have tried a recover disc in it and it won't accept that...It is not showing the router anywhere on the Laptop system at all.

We have today installed a new Windows XP and it's still not connecting.
It will accept other discs obviously as it has taken the new Windows...But it is definately not taking the recovery disc...:upset:

We want to get the laptop up and running before even tackling the router part of the problem as we can sort that once the bl**dy thing will connect to the internet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as we have 5 kids and only 1 pc working properly now...It's driving me mad...:pray:

Hope this all makes sense...

Cheers

Mandie:sigh:

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Hi Mandie,

Have you tried reseting the router? Some security setting may have been changed.

Also, to get the recovery disk to work in the Toshiba laptop, press F1 or Esc. when you see the Toshiba logo on boot, and then go into the boot section and set the CD-ROM drive as the first item in the boot order. Then save and exit, insert the CD, and boot if the laptop has not already done so. Instead of loading XP, it should boot from the CD, which will then format and reinstall XP with all the necessary NIC drivers.
NOTE: You will loose ALL data! Back up your important data to a removable drive before doing this.

BTW, I have moved you to Networking.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx for that

:upset: Ok...tried everything you suggested and still nowt...:rolleyes:

Have reset the router and it wont let our normal pc connect...

Also with the laptop...He has re installled Windows XP...Re booted as you suggested..even tried to reload blueyonder disc....Still nowt....:upset:

Do you reckon the laptop is knackered...????:4-dontkno

·
Citizen of the world
51,140 Posts
First off, let's determine where the problem is. Remember, whenever you change the device attached to a broadband modem, you MUST power cycle the modem. That means when you connect the router. :smile:

What is the version/patch level of Windows installed, and what is the make/model of the broadband modem?

Have you reset the router to factory defaults? Not just a brief reset, but by pressing the power switch for 10 seconds or more with power on the router?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx....
OK our Windows is XP Home edition...

The modem is Motorola sb4100...

Cannort press th power switch on the router as it doesn't have one...
Has a reset button at the back which we have done...

When we try to install the router it comes up on screen "unable to communicate with router"..Have tried different leads so it isn't the leads...

Thanx
mandie

·
Citizen of the world
51,140 Posts
Sorry, I really meant the reset switch for 10 seconds.

Connect to the router after the factory reset, and do this:

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can't paste anything as nothing came up when I hit enter........could see where i had typed ipconfig/all but there was nothing after that...does that help?????

Mandie

·
Citizen of the world
51,140 Posts
Well, something is wrong, because you certainly should get something. Did you type the command in the command prompt window? Please do a screen shot of the command window and the command results and paste it here. Here's what I get when I do an IPCONFIG /ALL in the command prompt.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MAIN
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-17-31-00-90-D6
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.8
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, January 24, 2007 5:08:34 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, January 25, 2007 5:08:33 AM

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Again

Yep that's exactly what my hubby is doing and there is still nothing...
He has just done it again and showed me as he went along...

I cannot paste a screen as I have no way of getting it to this pc...
But believe me there is nothing like yours is showing...

·
Citizen of the world
51,140 Posts
I presume you have a floppy or CD-RW drive, right? Or, perhaps just a USB FLASH disk you can carry the clip to the working computer with...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
K I will do it now....
I will actually type it as there really isnt enough on the screen to warrent using a disc....
give me a couple of mins

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok This is what the screen reads before and after the 'Hitting enter'...

Microsoft Windows XP (Version 5.1.2600)
<C> Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\everybody>ipconfig/all

Hope this helps matie...?

·
Citizen of the world
51,140 Posts
Something is clearly corrupted somehow.

What do you get if you just type IPCONFIG

What about typing IPCONFIG /?

Try those two and tell me what they return.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanx mate will try that and get back to you...
Going away for the weekend today though so will probably be Sunday...
Have a good weekend
mandie :wave:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Again mate...

K tried both of those and it's still bringing up what I typed before...???
Any help...?

Mandie

·
Citizen of the world
51,140 Posts
You aren't following the instructions. I can't believe NOTHING comes up when you type IPCONFIG in a command prompt. Let's do it again, and post a screen shot of the command prompt window after doing it.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Hit PrtScr and paste the screen shot into PAINT, save as a JPG and attach to a message here.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
You may have to navigate back to the C:\ prompt to get the prompt to work. I have seen a few situations where the baseline directory get somehow screwed up.

Type cd C:\
Hit Enter
You should be at the C:\ prompt. (without your other Documents and Settings\everybody>)

Then try your ipconfig command and see what you get.

JamesO

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi There
I may sound really thick to you guys on here as you all know what you are doing.

But this is what I am doing...

Clicking start...Run...Then I am typing in cmd..

I then get the black background window open which is titled

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe

It has the windows corp thingy on it and the stuff I posted on an earlier thread.....

This is where nothing happens and I have tried doing this a lot of times...I have even tried it on this PC which is obviously working fine and nothing happens on this one either.....something wrong somewhere as I have followed the instructions to the word...???????

After selecting all and hitting the enter button the command window stays exactly the same as when I started....nothing alters or appears.

Also tried the typing in cd C:\ and that still didnt change anything other than to start a fresh line underneath with a > at the end, but tried typing in the ipconfig command here again and still nothing happened......:upset:

Must be doing something wrong here but I cant see what.....I really do follow the instructions to the word

Thanks again for your help
Mandie

·
Citizen of the world
51,140 Posts
I'm totally missing the point. WHAT IS THE EXACT RESPONSE TO THE FOLLOWING IN THE COMMAND WINDOW?

IPCONFIG /ALL

Please post a COMPLETE screen shot so we can see, because what you're saying doesn't make any sense.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.