Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My computer suddenly would not start up. It would get to the loading personal info and then just sit there. So, I decided to format, and install, a new version of XP on a new drive and then deal with the other drive. So I formatted, and then tried to install. It copied all the files over and then started windows - forever. Ok, perhaps the drive is wrong, tried another drive, same thing. Then I tried another drive yet, all the files copied, I went away for about 45 minutes and, when I came back, it looked as if it was actually going to work so I let it copy more files, etc. and then it came to reboot, I did that and it started doing stuff and then the screen went blank and stayed that way. Oh, I also ran the ultimate boot disk and ran my drives (about 5) through all the tests, I also tested all my memory, (I ran a LOT of tests) as well as the cpu, etc. and everything came up good. I also tried to put a system on a clean drive with no other drives in the machine (just to make sure nothing was contaminated) and that too failed.

I have been at this, now, for quite some time. I notice one thing through all of this, my machine is dead slow. It is running with a 2.6ghz intel 2 core duo and 2gb memory. (I am writing this with another machine). Anyway, I then went back to the original drive and decided to simply re-install on that drive. That drive seems to be taking the operating system! (it has now told me it has 39 minutes to go for the last half hour and I suspect that the slowness may be a hint but I have no clue. I doubt something bad as the problems start before they can attack and my cmos seems just fine!). I have no idea if this is going to take and, even if it does, I figure I still have a problem. I have been working with these things for close to 40 years but this is the first time something like this has occurred.

Does anybody have thoughts on this one? I am getting ready to jump up and down on it!

·
Banned
3 Posts
Sounds like you might have a failing PSU. Go into the Bios and post the voltages, temps and fan speeds. Or try using a different PSU.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.