Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK.. here goes..

ever since i installed windows xp, i have had mostly nothing but problems...

to start, there is too much security on it. i can't have a simple home network on 2 windows xp computers. i just need to be able to use 1 printer on 2 computers. if file sharing doesn't work, i don't care.

second, my cd-rom bay doesn't read any type of cds (dvds, cdroms, etc.) it starts to make noise, then slows down, moving, making weird noises, and freezes up the computer. its hard to get it to eject as well, so i have to pop out the bay (this is only on the laptop), stick it back in, and right when it reads, i have to eject reeeally fast.

third, (it had windows 98se at first), office xp small business work on 98, but ever since i installed windows xp, it won't. it has all of the program files, but says (in the microsoft word startup screen) that it is an uninstalled version and an unknown user. when it gets into micro word, it says (access privelages are not installed on this user's name. please reinstall the product).

any more information that you need please feel free to ask, although i pretty much gave you all of it. thank you

·
Registered
336 Posts
sounds like you didn't do a clean install. I would backup all data and delete everything and reinstall....or do a dual boot. (most people that I see that first did a dual boot with 98 or 2k eventually deleted the older OS once they had XP down).

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I have to agree. My track record with getting XP installed on older hardware has been excellent, but I've never done an upgrade installation, and I will refuse in the future. :)

S

·
0 Posts
I gave up on doing upgrades years ago after messing around trying to get things working for hours on end. I found that in the long run it's faster to do a clean install and then install all of your software.

A clean machine is a happy machine.................:winkgrin:

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
well

that all goes for those people who kept the driver disks from their hardware.

otherwise i agree fully, a clean install is a s***load better.

LOL

~BoB~

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
but theres one problem with a clean install.. the cd-drive doesn't work..:upset: do you think if i called compaq they would send me one free or would i have to pay? i think its under warrenty...

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
heh

pretty sure if you have a warranty, and it is still good, then it is worth asking them.

hurry up though, a warranty expires, and they dont usually even make a one day exception.

you might also try a cleaing cd in there. these sometimes work.

i would suggest cleaning the cd lens manually, but its prolly still under warranty.

but yeah, that will screw up a clean install.

so, i suggest you get a working cd-rom, i dont see any other way in this case.

but, i do want to ask, do you have all the driver disks that go to the video card, sound card, modem/NIC, and whatever else your machine may have.

*note* some machines use industry standard hardware, and the drivers MAY be on the windows CD.*

if you dont have the drivers, you should hurry and get them.

and the other machine, its cd rom works right?

~BoB~

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
slemaire195 said:
but theres one problem with a clean install.. the cd-drive doesn't work..:upset: do you think if i called compaq they would send me one free or would i have to pay? i think its under warrenty...
CD-RW drives are $10-15 on rebate deals that are available almost every day, so there's really no excuse not having a working CD.

·
Registered
12 Posts
slemaire195 said:
Is the driver actually dead or acting up in XP? Try using the cd drive in dos with a 98 or ME startup disk. If it works, then you had OS/ASPI issues or something to that effect. Also, run a cd lense cleaner through it.

I agree with the masses, a full XP install is better than upgrade unless the upgraded PC is fully patched and prepped, which is a waste of time considering....

·
Registered
336 Posts
If it is a retail version of an OS make sure you set the bios to FIRST BOOT...CDROM.

I don't know how it works if it is on another drive that Compaq or Hp sets up.

I also agree with johnwill...I have a 1/2 dozen new CDRW's that I got for free after rebates sitting in the closet (I give them away as gifts). Even if you have a 24x the upgrade to the new ones are worth it.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
but....

can you find cd-rw drives for a laptop for that cheap?

if you notice he is trying to get the cd drive on the laptop working.

~BoB~

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I did miss the part about it being a laptop. :| That's a whole different kettle of fish! Of course, I just bought a USB 2.0 case for $33 including shipping, and one of those cheap or free CD-RW drives slides right into it. :D Even with USB 1.1, you can use the CD-RW at reduced speeds, I have one so configured for use in my lab.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
where could i buy a usb case? i think the usb port is a 1.1, does it matter if i buy one for 2.0?

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
slemaire195 said:
where could i buy a usb case? i think the usb port is a 1.1, does it matter if i buy one for 2.0?
No, the USB 2.0 case is backward compatible with USB 1.1, I plug my devices into USB 1.1 ports frequently, they work fine, just slower. :D I'd do a price search on PriceWatch. FWIW, I recently purchased this case USB 2.0 Case 3.5 - 5.25 Devices. I paid $35.75 including shipping. I selected no extra accessories, but got the retail box anyway. :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
did a USB 2 cable come with that?

also....have you used it for a HD? I read an article awhile back that the transfer rate on USB 2 would be equivalent to ATA60 (?) which seems like that would be a decent speed...

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
A USB 2.0 cable did indeed come with the case. I transfer large amounts of data to a number of USB 2.0 drives (I have 6 of them), and the drive speeds are very decent.

I just fired up the new case that I pointed to, it has a Maxtor 160mb 8mb cache drive in it. It gets an average speed of 24.7m-bytes/sec with DiskSpeed32 v3.0.0.5. Since the speed remains pretty constant over the entire disk, I'm assuming that the speed is limited by the USB 2.0 connection. That same disk on a Promise ATA-133 controller starts out at 50m-bytes/sec and ends up in the low 30's. This is on a P4-2.4g system, significant because USB 2.0 consumes a bit of processor power, and different speed systems will transfer data at different rates.

I have two 2.5" cases with a 30gig and a 20gig drive in them, they're very handy for going on the road, I can put them in a pocket. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.