Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. Where to start?

The most immediate problem effecting my computer right now is that when I log in, all I get is my background. I can move the mouse around, but no icons or start-bar. Ctrl+Alt+Delete does not do anything.

Booting up in Safe Mode to attempt a System Restore pops up a window saying: Click Yes to run diagnostic mode, click no to System Restore.

I don't recall seeing this pop up before. So, first I click NO since I want to system restore. It then tells me that "System Restore will not protect this computer. Please restart and attempt System Restore again." Of course, restarting does nothing, so I reboot in Safe Mode and click 'Yes'.

No Icons. No start bar in Safe Mode. Ctrl+Alt+Dlt does work and when i enter 'msconfig' and click "System Restore" I get that same message again.

Any suggestions?

Also, I have dual video cards with SLI Technology. However, whenever they are enabled, they freeze my computer when I am playing whatever game, also emitting a high pitched beeeeeeeeep sound. I've updated drivers whenever available and it does not resolve the problem.

Also, a little background. I've had the computer for maybe 6 months and got it from Alienware. It didn't turn on straight out of the box, and the Image CD was corrupted and they never sent me the Drivers CD. So straight away, I had to reinstall windows and all of the drivers. It still says one of the drivers is missing, and the Alienware Help Desk couldn't figure it out either. It took 3 days to get my computer working (over the weekend). Since then, I've had the SLI Freezing Issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Matt

·
Helper
4,126 Posts
First, you need to clean the Malware OR do a clean install.

If the former, please read the following article and post anew in the Spyware secvtion;

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f50...-posting-for-malware-removal-help-305963.html

If you opt to do a clean install, get the specifics of your motherboard so you can pre-download the necessary drivers and transfer them to CD.

That can be done using Belarc or Everest.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The former is not possible given the current state of things.

Would it be possible/feasible to try and repair windows (hoping its some windows files that are corrupted) and once its back in an operational state, purge it of any spy/malware or virus's that are plaguing it?

·
Helper
4,126 Posts
"No Icons. No start bar in Safe Mode. Ctrl+Alt+Dlt does work and when i enter 'msconfig' and click "System Restore" I get that same message again."

So, use Safe Mode and ctrl+alt+del to get to Explorer - slip in a CD with some AV/AM and whack the nasties.

This is STILL an issue for the Spyware forums. I cannot say more (may have said too much already).

One of my favourite suggestions is to disconnect that drive, buy a new one, install the OS CLEAN with some decent AV, slave the old drive, copy off what you value, and zero fill the old drive and then format.

Anyway, gl to you!

:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.