Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to these forums and have come with a baffling problem:
I bought a new motherboard for a micro atx build, it is an asus p5ld2-vm. So I got everything togeter in the case and connnected it however it did not recognise my maxtor diamondmax ata-133 hard drive, I checked connections and the jumpers and used a different cable, even used a different hard drive but got the same result. The harddrive showed up on the boot priority list in the bios but when I tried to format the hard drive it said there werent any hard drives, the hard drive also did not show in the list of ide devices in the bios. I'd really appreciate it if someone could tell me what is wrong.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi Andrew0987,

There could be a couple of reasons for this. Here are some possible solutions:

Make sure you have your RAID disabled in the BIOS setup menu.

Make sure you are using an 80 connector cable and not a 40 connector cable.

Make sure IF the drive is alone on IDE #1, that you have the jumpers set to master and placed on the END of the ribbon cable.

Make sure IF there are two drives on this cable, that you have the jumpers for this drive set to Master and placed on the END of the ribbon cable, and the other drive set to slave and placed on the middle of the ribbon cable.

Make sure that you have the BIOS set to AUTO to detect the drive.

Make sure you use the Maxtor Utility to set up (partition and format) the drive. This utility is called Maxblast III if you didn't get one with your drive. You can download it from the Maxtor website.

Make sure you have your boot order set to:

CDRom - 1st
Floppy - 2nd
Hard Disk - 3rd

AND, save before you exit.

Let us know after you have sorted out and checked these items.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still nothing. I also tried a segate ata-100 hdd and got the same result. Do you think the mobo is defective? I would hate to deal with asus for a rma.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Actually, much too early to tell if you have a motherboard problem. Do you get video of any time, can you see the BIOS setup menu?

Also, have you downloaded the Maxtor setup disk or do you have one that came with the system?

If so, put it in the CDRom, boot up from that disk and see exactly what happens and report back.

You really need to tell me what you have set on IDE #1 (which drives, what kind, Brand names), where on cable, how jumpered? That is a great start place.

Darn, almost forgot the important thing..........what the heck is the matter with me forgetting that........Andrew, you aren't using a hard drive that you used on another computer before putting it on here, did you?????????????? If so, it won't work and you need to do a clean format and install. These questions all need to be answered before we get too far.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
I would remove the power plug from the drive (4-pin plug)
then clear the CMOS (see mobo manual)
then restart computer / it should report no drives found
shutdown then reconnect the power plug to the drive / see if that wakes up the bios ??????

regards

joe

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tumbleweed36 said:
Hi,

Actually, much too early to tell if you have a motherboard problem. Do you get video of any time, can you see the BIOS setup menu?

Also, have you downloaded the Maxtor setup disk or do you have one that came with the system?

If so, put it in the CDRom, boot up from that disk and see exactly what happens and report back.

You really need to tell me what you have set on IDE #1 (which drives, what kind, Brand names), where on cable, how jumpered? That is a great start place.

Darn, almost forgot the important thing..........what the heck is the matter with me forgetting that........Andrew, you aren't using a hard drive that you used on another computer before putting it on here, did you?????????????? If so, it won't work and you need to do a clean format and install. These questions all need to be answered before we get too far.
Ok, I downloaded maxblast but on my new comp there isn't a floppy drive so I cant use that. I bought it as an oem hdd so it came with no cd. I have two defferent ide interfaces on my motherboard one for a dma100/66 signal (which my lite-on dvd-rw is on) and one for ata 133/100/66 signals. (which is the one I attempted to install my hd on. My dvd rw and my hdd's jumpers are both set on master. I can get into the bios setup.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Might be a good idea to give linderman's ideas a try and see if that helps your situation. Then, if possible, get someone to burn you a CD copy of the Maxblast3 program.

You didn't answer the question about using this drive on another computer and putting the OS on it with another unit. That is important information for both linderman and I.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tumbleweed36 said:
Hi,

Might be a good idea to give linderman's ideas a try and see if that helps your situation. Then, if possible, get someone to burn you a CD copy of the Maxblast3 program.

You didn't answer the question about using this drive on another computer and putting the OS on it with another unit. That is important information for both linderman and I.
This drive has never been formatted before, and I already tried clearing the cmos. still no luck.

·
Registered
462 Posts
i think you might have wired it in wrong or something, easy mistake to make really, but if you haven't then....ummm.... :sad:. Well all i can say is try the other things people have said, we already know the HDD isn't the problem, why don't you take good long hard scan through your BIOS? have a look and see if everything is configured properly using the information above.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
whosdat said:
try a new cable, not one that has been in a box for 10 years
good luck
I tried three different cables. I also tried playing around with everything in the bios, still no luck.

·
Registered
462 Posts
ok im out of ideas :sad:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I reloved the issue. It turns out that on the mobo I needed to installl the ide drivers on startup like you would forn an scsi device or a raid config. thanks for all the help anyway. :smile:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.