Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few general questions and then a problem I would like to address.

My two questions are I have been reading around this forum and various people have asked how to create a folder that is password protected without any new software on XP home, a few people said this is possible but didnt explain how...so how can you make a folder password protected on xp home without any added software?

Secondly, when my computer was set up there was no admin password assigned. How can I assign an admin password now that it is past original set up?

Finally, my problem is that I keep getting winfixer screens and installers and I believe they are the cause for some pop ups I occasionally get. I have adaware and an updated norton antivirus 2005 and they both say I'm clean, what is the best way to get rid of winfixer as well as any other pop ups?

If anyone could help me with any of these topics it would be much appreciated! Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that link, does anyone have any information for the previous 2 questions?

How do I create a password protected folder on xp home without installing any new software?

How do I set my admin password?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
jinshady said:
Thanks for that link, does anyone have any information for the previous 2 questions?

How do I create a password protected folder on xp home without installing any new software?

How do I set my admin password?
If it is like Win2k Hit ctl+alt+del and there is a box to change your password.
The only catch is you have to be logged in as administrator.
As for the folders :4-dontkno

·
Registered
610 Posts
If you are reffering to the Main Administrator that is hidden on the XP welcome screen at normal start up, then you might need to start in safe mode (press f8 repeatedly at start up, and then choose safe mode) so that administrator appears, login as administrator and go to start, control panel (make sure your in classic view), user accounts, and in there you can add passwords.

If you are talking about the user that is by default called Owner, than just login normally, and go to start, control panel, user accounts, and in there you can add passwords.

Option 2-

oldman- If it is like Win2k Hit ctl+alt+del and there is a box to change your password.
This will work if the welcome screen is not used to logon. (The welcome screen logon has the little pictures and names of every user, and says welcome with a blue background when you logon.) It needs to be the classic logon prompt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh ok! I will go into safe mode and do that! Thanks a lot for that help, thats 2/3 down...now does ANYONE know the answer to the question:

How can I password protect a folder in windows xp home w/o installing any new software??? I read in another thread that it was possible but it was not explained how, how does one go about doing this? Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
610 Posts
The only way i know of to password protect a folder in Xp HOME is to put the files in a compressed folder, which is kind of inconvienient if there is alot of stuff in the folder, and if you want to unzip. (To create a compressed folder, right click on your desktop, go to new, compressed folder. Put your files in there and then go to File, Add a password... to add a password.

·
Registered
43 Posts
to password the folder you want, right click on it, then select properties, then click the "sharing" tab.
check the little box that says " make this folder private" and hit apply.

if you don't already have a password it will prompt you to make one and guide you through it.

*this will also password protect any subfolders inside that folder*

hope that works for Ya

·
Registered
210 Posts
That last only works if you want to have to log on whenever you boot your computer, and you want to make everyone else who uses the computer use another account.
The only other free way is the compressed folder option, which is a pain.

Besides that, you're stuck with proprietary software. There are a lot of programs out there, but they all cost money. =/ I had this problem earlier.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Yep, making a folder private only denies access to it when on a different user. Its too bad they had to make it so difficult and inconvienient to password protect a folder in Home.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.