Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I have a secound computer which is a athlon 64 3000+. My primary computer is my windows/gaming computer. I want to make the secound computer a non-microsoft programing computer/server.

I have a few questions to ask

1. What version of linux do you recommend that would be best for the following. Many different programing languages compilers. I also want to run a php and mysql server on it. Less important and minor tasks of internet and Instant messagers.

2. I notice alot of companies that higher programmers want them to be familar in programming in a unix enviroment. Is freeBSD a full unix enviroment? If I get very familar using freeBSD can I for most part transfer that knowledge to any version of unix I would use at a company would minor changes. In other words is freeBSD a full unix enviroment? I dont know much about freeBSD but since I under the impression it a opensouce version of unix. I would think this mean it completly command line driver(no GUI). Is this correct?

3. Can I dual-boot A version of linux and freeBSD on my computer?

4. Should I use the 32bit or 64bit version of freeBSD. Should I use a 64 bit version of linux? What the advantages of 64bit and disadvantages in linux and freeBSD?

I am very familar with windows. I am very familar with programming and programming terms. I keep my self very up to date on hardware and computer terms. For these reason feel free to get as technical as you want in the answers I should understand but I am a bit of a novice to the unix and linux world so when using terms specifc to those 2 things you might need to explain it in a bit more detail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
mgoldb2 said:
1. What version of linux do you recommend that would be best for the following. Many different programing languages compilers. I also want to run a php and mysql server on it. Less important and minor tasks of internet and Instant messagers.
All distros can do this. It's all personal prefrence. I perfer Debian for it's stability and package tool (apt)

mgoldb2 said:
2. I notice alot of companies that higher programmers want them to be familar in programming in a unix enviroment. Is freeBSD a full unix enviroment? If I get very familar using freeBSD can I for most part transfer that knowledge to any version of unix I would use at a company would minor changes. In other words is freeBSD a full unix enviroment? I dont know much about freeBSD but since I under the impression it a opensouce version of unix. I would think this mean it completly command line driver(no GUI). Is this correct?
This should be the case. Although I've never actually used FreeBSD I havn't seen anything to say the contrary.

mgoldb2 said:
3. Can I dual-boot A version of linux and freeBSD on my computer?
Absloutly yes. You can choose to either use Grub or Lilo. Lilo is a bit older and not as well kept while Grub is newer and has many more features. One of the two should come with any distro you download.

mgoldb2 said:
4. Should I use the 32bit or 64bit version of freeBSD. Should I use a 64 bit version of linux? What the advantages of 64bit and disadvantages in linux and freeBSD?
Well the advantages are that your using your entire processor. The question is "to do what?". While there are a great many packages availible for the 64-bit os you'll find that many aren't. I think unless you have some specific reason why you want to use the full 64-bits you should just stick to 32 for now. The 64-bit distros look great, but they aren't really done yet. Give em a few years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,097 Posts
mgoldb2 said:
2. I notice alot of companies that higher programmers want them to be familar in programming in a unix enviroment. Is freeBSD a full unix enviroment?
I'm not sure what you mean by a "full unix environment", but yes, FreeBSD uses Unix commands and is similar to Linux in terms of operation. Things start to differ once you get into OS-specific commands, system functionality, and even FreeBSD philosophy/history.


mgoldb2 said:
If I get very familar using freeBSD can I for most part transfer that knowledge to any version of unix I would use at a company would minor changes.
Like I said, many of the basic commands are the same on most Unix-based systems, however, you will eventually have to learn commands, programs, and administrative features that are specific to the operating system that you are using.

mgoldb2 said:
I dont know much about freeBSD but since I under the impression it a opensouce version of unix. I would think this mean it completly command line driver(no GUI). Is this correct?
You can install FreeBSD with or without a GUI, however, the only way you will learn FreeBSD or Linux well is to play around in a command-line only environment.

All the information you need on FreeBSD can be found at http://www.freebsd.org/. The FreeBSD Handbook is very well-documented and should answer most questions you have on FreeBSD's usage.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top