Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Windows XP with SP3. It started messing up a bit over a year ago and my dad took it to his friend to fix, and his friend did fix it but returned it with 2 windows XP at boot up. Like when it was booting up, it would make you choose the OS and they were both identical except that 1 of them wouldn't start up. It wasn't a problem because it still worked.
As of last week though it won't let me choose an OS and just starts up to the Compaq screen with the "system recovery" "settings" and "boot menu" then
It just goes from this screen straight to a black screen with the words "A disk read error has occurred. Press ctrl+alt+delete to restart."
Restarting just repeats all of this, the buttons for system recovery and boot menu are unresponsive no mater how many times I mash it, the settings' button is responsive but not very helpful.
Any ideas? I'd really appreciate the help guys.

· Decessit
69,046 Posts
Hi I think given the problems your having it may be a idea to borrow a copy of xp in order to be able to fix it, it has to be the same as the copy installed,it looks like your Dads friend just installed another copy of windows but something has screwed up the boot sequence and it is not being seen

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay. That was a last resort but I guess your right. I don't want to search for or buy another copy of windows, so I guess it's time check out what ubuntu is all about. Cheers Joeten :)

· Decessit
69,046 Posts
Yup if that is not working it would be either what I suggested or your own you can contact HP\Compaq to see if they still do recovery discs (xp may be doubtful) for a small charge

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright then.
I had found a virus and was doing a boot-time scan with Avast when it stopped turning on. For the sake of speculation and curiosity, do you figure either of the 2 are responsible?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.