Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put together my system (see config below), and when I powered it on, the fans started running, but the mobo LED and all the lights (front panel, keyboard) started blinking. There was also a kind of clicking sound that seemed to come from the LED area. I'm not sure whether this is a bad PSU and I'm seeing continuous cycling or whether the mobo is at fault. I've read about the problems other people have been having, but I haven't seen anyone mention the blinking lights.

P4C800-E Deluxe
P4 3.2
Intel Stock Heatsink + fan
2x512 Kingston KVR400X64C3A/512 PC3200
ATI Radeon 9800PRO
SoundBlaster Audigy2 ZS
Antec Sonata case
Antec True 380S (came with Sonata case)
WD 120GB 7200 RPM
WD 250GB 7200 RPM
Pioneer DVR-A06U
Y-E Data 7-in-1 Floppy + Card Reader

Any help is appreciated.

Justin

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
There's going to be a lot to try.

I assume you mean the LED's all start blinking, then keep on blinking and never stop? You're right, that would imply some sort of cycling is occurring, the question is at what level.

The stock heatsink has been known to apply too much pressure and actually break contact somewhere, with some mobos. Try loosening the heatsink clamps and see if the problem disappears. If it doesn't, tighten them back down again and read on. Otherwise search the forums because there have been suggestions about modifying the brackets to slightly reduce the pressure. Or install a 3rd-party sink like a Zalman CNPS7000-Cu, which does fit BTW, and works well.

Still blinking?
That Kingston memory should be fine, but just for kicks try pulling one of the sticks out. If still blinking, swap that stick for the other one.

Double check all your System Connector wiring at the lower right corner of the mobo. Since your LED's light I'm guessing you did it right, but maybe you got the lines mixed up somehow.

??Is that a PS/2 keyboard or a USB keyboard? If it's USB, disconnect any other stuff you have attached to the USB and try again. Also try pulling the keyboard itself.

Still blinking?
Next try disconnecting all the IDE devices' (HDD and DVR) power lines and IDE cables (at the mobo), and pulling out the Soundblaster card. This will reduce the load on the supply.
??Do you still get the same blinking with this stuff gone?
If not, then start hooking stuff back up one at a time, to try to track down who the bad boy is.

Another suggestion: if you wired up the "Front mounted USB & IEEE 1394 ports", first write down how you plugged them, then disconnect them; you might have accidentally grounded a +5V line that you shouldn't have.

I could not find the 380S supply listed anywhere at the Antec site, but it says the supply that comes with the Sonata is 380W, so I'll assume they just mean it's a TruePower 380 and the "S" just means bundled with Sonata. It also says it's ATX12V compatible. 380W ought to be enough juice, but I guess the supply could be bad.
??Did you remember to attach the extra 4-wire connector to the power jack above next to the CPU?

I'm assuming you don't have the solder problem. I don't think anyone with a -E mobo has reported that.

Let me know what you find out here,

-clintfan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow! Thanks for the detailed reply, clintfan. I double-checked all my connections, and everything looked good. I did finally find the problem. It was my power strip! Once I unplugged the PSU from the power strip and plugged it directly into a wall socket, everything worked. It did its POST, and I was able to set the BIOS and install Win XP Pro. I'm not sure whether I have a bad socket in my power strip or whether it was just too much load, but I'm glad to have my system up.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Justin

·
Registered
17 Posts
i haven't had to many problems yet with my P4C800-E Deluxe MB.
just wondered JustinZ about the clicking sound you heard or are hearing.
i noticed on my system at the back were all the connectors are that once in awhile i hear a clicking aswell.
its like a purring noise a cat makes. (very quiet though)
is that the same as the noise you heard JustinZ ???
just wondering as the noise only last maybe 10 to 30 seconds max. (sometimes it doesn't do it at all)
any ideas ???
i disconnected all the fans in my case and it still does it once in awhile.
could be the CPU fan though not sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Homer, the clicking I heard was synchronous with the flashing of the LED on the board. It wasn't really loud, but I wouldn't describe it as quiet. It sounded sort of like the sound a relay makes, but not as metallic. I assume the noise was caused somehow by the intermittent power getting to the board.

Justin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.