Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today i turned on my laptop and everything booted up normally. Logged on and started going about my work. Just as usual...
Now something has popped up (see attached picture)

I have run the Chkdsk utility twice but no luck!
I have also tried to go to "\RECYCLER\etc..." to try and delete the "Desktop.ini" file that is apparently corrupted, but no dice. Still pops up over and over.
Its really quite annoying!

Im running XP Professional SP3.
Any ideas in how to solve this problem? :4-dontkno

Thanks in advance.
Rob.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm i wonder where i could have picked that up from...
Never mind, I will install AVG Free or Avast and tell you how it goes!

Thanks for the reply's guys. :smile:
Rob.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i installed AVG Free after and ran a slow scan over night and here is what came up (attached picture)

That pop up has now gone, thank god! But my laptop now runs slow.
Maybe due to AVG?
Is there a virus scanner that is not too resource incentive that you could recommend?

Thanks yet again!!:pray:

Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Well i installed AVG Free after and ran a slow scan over night and here is what came up (attached picture)

That pop up has now gone, thank god! But my laptop now runs slow.
Maybe due to AVG?
Is there a virus scanner that is not too resource incentive that you could recommend?

Thanks yet again!!:pray:

Rob
Man, that's ugly...having all of those nasty things on your computer. You should always have an antivirus program and firewall installed on your computer.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I don't like the new AVG (v8.x), I've switched to Avira.
I remember reading about Avira in an article, they said that Avira came in first place (detection rate of 99.6%) when it came to detection. However, they came in last when it came to removing. It only removed 4 of the 9 problems.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man, that's ugly...having all of those nasty things on your computer. You should always have an antivirus program and firewall installed on your computer.
I agree! but i only use this laptop for work/light internet browsing. Its quite an old laptop so when i had AVG/Zone-alarm installed before id be waiting a good 5 minutes just to open up MS Word!

Just shows what you can pick up from the web!
Maybe ZA should be downloaded again?

Rob.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I remember reading about Avira in an article, they said that Avira came in first place (detection rate of 99.6%) when it came to detection. However, they came in last when it came to removing. It only removed 4 of the 9 problems.
Oh...
Well could you recommend something tosh9i?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.