Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NOTE: THE FOLLOWING QUOTE WAS COPIED FROM ANOTHER THREAD

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902F8,0xF89B1B70,0xF89B1870,0xF81548E9)

*** ntfs.sys - Address F81548E9 base at F8145000, Datestamp 3b7dc5d0.

i have a simular problem with 2 pc's running different boards, 1 matsonic and 1 asus, except mine is atapi.sys, otherwise the bluescreen is identical to this. the pc's were spontaniously restarting, so i disabled the auto restasrt and got this bluescreen. reinstalling windows doesnt help. it seems that if i install windows and dont update, it runs fine, as soon as i install the 1rst or second update it starts doing it. it doesnt matter if im sut\rfin the web or just letting it run with no programs running, it does it. what is the problem??????

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
You never mentioned whether you tried the CHKDSK /F. While researching your problem this is what I found according to www.aumha.org.

0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
(Click to consult the online Win XP Resource Kit article, or see Windows 2000 Professional Resource Kit, p. 1543.)
A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. I suggest running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions.

Let us know how things turn out for you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
i dont think that chkdsk applies in this matter, (i could be wrong) i get the atapi.sys, not the standard ntfs.sys error i see well documented all over the net. i cannot find any refrence to this stop message with atapi.sys as the cause. and, as i said, i have the same problem on 2 different pcs running the same os, although the asus seems to be much more worse off then the matsonic pc. it also seems to only do it after i instal the first or second update on a fresh win xp instal, no service packs. im wondering if there is a problem with the older updates to pre-win xp sp1 and sp2 conflicting with the newest line of mainboards. i am pretty proficiant with pcs and windows, (20 years exp) this one has me stumped

i wanted to add that these updates are all pre sp1 and sp2. windows was installed from an original disk from 2002, or 2003, whenever xp first came out. is there a way i can skip all the updates and download sp1 and 2 only, because it seems that this is the cause of the problem, (through proccess of elimination and many many weeks of curseing, swearing, thrown objects, etc, etc.)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Have you installed any new hardware recently? Give us your computer specs. In your initial thread you didn't state that this problem pertained to atapi.sys, this is why I suggested the CHKDSK /F. Have you tried sfc /scannow, you may want to look here also http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1074443182. In regards to your second question I'm pretty sure SP2 includes every prior update. IMHO there should be no conflict with just installing SP2 without SP1.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.