Tech Support banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Moderator, Automotive Team
12,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damn Dodge this morning started and idled fine, but as soon as I put it in gear it died, wouldnt start fr 5 minutes, then it starts and I parked in front of the garage, pulled a plug, nothiung all normal, just a little black, smelled fuel when I poened the hood after cranking and cranking so I am assumeing the fuel pump is pumping, I hope its that cheap a** coil I got from Advance auto 3 years ago

·
12,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very Funny LOL

I might have found the problem, pulled a spark plug and found the coil I installed 3 years ago is putting out an orange spark, so me thinking it cant have crapped out already I looked in to the corrosion on the positive terminal the wires were not making full contact so I hope that was the problem, my trans has a control selonid and I hope the lack of electricity to it was the problem, we'll find out tomorrow cause its gonna be 47 again

·
12,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep that seems to be all THAT was, I drove it to work and home without incident from starting and stalling However ( but wait theres new stuff LOL) problem of the day, the water pump pours water out when I shut it down
Luckily for me I work for the state maintenance shop so NAPA gave it to me at teh state cost I just had to pay tax $54.30 for a brand new never been rebuilt water pump, I'm guessing today would be a good time to change the antifreeze

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Dodge: Dead Or Dying Garbage Emitter ? ;)

<ducking-and-running>
I used to say Fords rust, chevies bust, Dodges gather dust.

I have an electrical problem on the van battery goes dead in a few hours. Traced it down to a recall on the ABS system that keeps it on all the time. Complicating the problem is that the nearest dealer is 75 miles away and they'd have to keep it for "a few days"

·
12,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
New water pump is in new antifreeze and everything runs again my DODGE is no longer a dead or dying garbage emitter:)
its also no longer collecting dust :)

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,233 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Battery Disconnect? https://www.amazon.com/Ampper-Batte...9c7d3&pd_rd_wg=vD7NK&pd_rd_i=B07WJSYTXP&psc=1

Note: Wouldn't recommend using it on newer vehicles because of all of the electronic stuff many now have in 'em.
Been thinking along that line, have a battery switch I bought for my sailboat a while ago, ended up not using it and it's been on the shelf for a few years.
Only real problem would be the radio I think, everything else would just be in 'learn' mode for a while.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,233 Posts
Yep, know what you mean. Many of today's radios have a left and right arrow type setup to allow you to simply jump to the next strong station signal. If you like it, hold the button down for a few seconds for it to remember it ... as song as the battery is working of course. Stuff like tire pressure, etc. though would each have to be re-setup.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
We picked up a honda crv last month, so the van's a backup for now, so there's no real rush to get it fixed right away

·
12,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After changing the positive battery terminal and the water pump, my Dakota now runs better than my old 76 Chevy C 1500 did after tuning the carb and installing the HEI ign

1 - 15 of 15 Posts