Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently upgraded a computer that is running Windows 98SE. I added another 256 MB SDRAM. It originally had 128 MB. Now for some reason it hangs up on the HP Startup screen. It'll boot after awhile most of the time but it seems sometimes it just freezes. Any clue what may have caused this? Is it that it is simply counting the memory still and because it has 3 times what it had originally and its only a 600Mhz machine or so that it takes forever? Any ideas?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Eclipse2003 said:
I recently upgraded a computer that is running Windows 98SE. I added another 256 MB SDRAM. It originally had 128 MB. Now for some reason it hangs up on the HP Startup screen. It'll boot after awhile most of the time but it seems sometimes it just freezes. Any clue what may have caused this? Is it that it is simply counting the memory still and because it has 3 times what it had originally and its only a 600Mhz machine or so that it takes forever? Any ideas?
Does it freeze at the Hp screen everytime? Or just sometimes?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I found out that it has a max of 256 MB. But then I tried to put 2 - 64 MB of the same speed and it still doesn't work. It doesn't freeze up all the time, just most of the time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've heard from a couple places that u need to have the same amount of RAM per stick. In short, try a 128MB RAM stick.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Go to Crucial.com and plug into their "memory advisor". This will identify your machine's maximum memory capacity and recommended modules.

A machine of that vintage typically maxes out at 128MB per slot. It is possible to increase that via a BIOS flash (BIOS iupdate). If you have a manufactured (ie. Compaq, Gateway) computer, check with the mfr., if you have a custom computer get your BIOS update from the motherboard maker.

If you determime that a BIOS flash is benificial and want to proceed, follow the instructions very carefully.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah it has a max of 256, however even when I put 2 - 64 MB modules, it still won't boot up properly. Any clue what may be causing this?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Does it boot when you take the extra memory out?

Try putting in one stick, booting and seeing if it freezes. Do this with all the sticks, and see if one of them freezes it, in that case you've probably got a bad module.

Your best bet is to put in another of the exact module you have.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.