Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
The GPU will physically fit on the p6x58d-e. Do you have a good quality PSU to power the 9800gx2.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
I would strongly suggest replacing that PSU before attempting to install a 9800GX2.
750W minimum good quality.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers my m8 has a corsair tx650w which I can have if it will work, it has 2x6+2 pci e connectors, which will do for the 8 pin connector but would b
Need 2 molex to 6 pin adapters, would this be ok to us, the PSU has I think 54amps no the 12v rail

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
You're welcome and please let us know what you get and how it all works out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello there.
im glad that i have found an active thread about this because i have 2 unsolved question.

1: is the ASUS P6X58D-E able to run TWO 9800GX2 Cards with all 4 GPU´s?
asus product spec. says quad crossfire will work, 3 way sli will work but they dont talk about quad sli. (i know there are one million better solutions then running two 9800gx2 but i have them here, dont need to buy new stuff, want to use them)

2: is the OCZ750FTY Fatal1ty 750W enough for BOTH cards? or even for one? :4-dontkno or do i need to upgrade psu?
OCZ 750W Fatal1ty Series Power Supply - OCZ

lg, guatimo

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT:
Question 2 solved. Any 750W PSU seems to be not enough to run 2*9800GX2 in any stable, safeish mode. (its possible but not recommended)
OCZ and Corsair GPU Calculators says i need at least 850W to run them stable, but of course with 950W im on the really safe side. So for all guys who read this:

when you want to run 2*9800GX2 and you HAVE a 800-850W PSU - use it and just try it out.
but if you need to buy a new one anyway use a psu calculator and choose at least 850W minium - better 950W so you dont run your psu on 100% all day long.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This mother board will work with quad sli, as it is version 2.0 pci e, my inderstanding that any 2.0 pci e will support quad sli, I have been very grateful for help and advice tyree and dai have given me on this thread, many thanks you two superheros of the IT world :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.