3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my specs are as follows:

MSI Motherboard with 400mhz fsb
AMD 2800xp cpu
Radeon 9800 pro 128
1 GB Corsair Dual Channel DDR 3200
Seagate 200GB HD

So, last week an electrician came to my apartment to fix a fan/lighting fixture. I was on my computer at the time, when he without warning flipped the circuit breaker powering my computer and it shut off. (My computer is connected to surge protector but my monitor is not.) When I tried to restart my computer it sounded and looked like it was booting normally (from the inside). However, the monitor doesn't get a signal it just says "off mode in 5 sec" then turns off. Just as a note I have a Viewsonic af90+ monitor.
I tried all the standard stuff to try and fix it. Unplugging and plugging back in, pulling out the video card and resetting it, I plugged my pc into my roomate's monitor and it just said "no signal". Hell, I even reset CMOS thinking it might fix something. Can anyone offer any sound advice as to how I can fix this short of getting a new video card, which I'm worried I ultimately will probably have to do. Or, can anyone provide any compelling evidence that I can present my landlord to let him know that this isn't my fault. He seems to believe that video cards can't be fried from power surges. Now, my knowledge is limited but wouldn't a 9800 pro be susceptible to this since it plugs directly into the power supply? Thanks again for your time and any advice you offer.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Did you test your monitor on your friend's PC?

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
If you've got onboard graphics or a spare graphics card, try installing it to see if it's your Radeon 9800 that has blown or the motherboard.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
A power surge could have fried any part of your system. Try stripping it down to the bare minimum and see if you can get it to POST at all, even any beeps. Test your graphics card and hard drive on your friend's PC, if he'll let you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.