Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey umm guys? I have a windows 98 SE CD, right? I reformatted my computer and now... when I put the cd in and try to boot from it I see "adaptic cd-rom boot: Failure..."

and then it goes into normal DOS mode... I need desperate help here. :upset:

·
Registered
289 Posts
A Win98SE startup floppy should initiate the CD drive and allow you to continue the install.

·
Registered
289 Posts
On a machine running 98SE you would go to add/remove programs in the control panel,where you can make a startup disk it's 1.2MB and fits on a floppy. There should be a way to make it with just the CD though I can't recall how.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but... but...

ok, I downloaded a boot disk that loads cd drivers. I can now access the cd drive. I type setup but then it says it requires microsoft windows to run!!! (how do you install windows which requires... windows????)

(sry for the new thread... accident...):winking:

S

·
0 Posts
When you boot to the startup disk when it gets to the A:> prompt type E:\ then enter, This is if it shows your drive as E

A = Floppy

C = Hard Drive

D = Ram Drive, This is just there during setup!

E = CD Rom

Unless you have more than one hard drive or CD-Rom the CD-Rom drive letter will change accordingly................:D

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
2,697 Posts
It sounds like the format didnt work proper. Have you tried reformating and removing all the partitions on the hard drive? Did you use fdisk? Also who makes your Hard Drive. They usually give you tools to wipe your drive clean. Im suspecting if you can get the drive cleaned, and use a 98 boot disk, it should work.

S

·
0 Posts
Go here and download the Windows 98SE Boot Disk and extract it to a new floppy disk.

Boot into your bios and set the boot sequence to boot from floppy first.

If the version of Win.98 that you have is a full version you can do a complete install from the CD.

But if it is an upgrade you will need an earlier version of Windows to show it when asked for a compliance check, Such as Win95 or 3.1 you get the idea.

OK here is what you need to do. Go

here it explains everything you should do to fdisk and format your machine.

After your done with this boot to your new boot floppy and select start computer with CD-Rom support.

Then your CD-Rom should be "E"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.