Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 2 computers running xp and one running 98 2nd. i cant get the 98 to show up on any of the xp and vice versa. all copmuters can ping easch other, so it hase to be somthing with the configurations,i ran the xp wizard on the 98, i recently reistalled 98 but i still cant find network neighoberhood.
Thank you

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
First, in TCP/IP properties, make sure that NETBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled on both machines.

If that fails to solve the problem, install NETBEUI protocol on both machines, that should get them browsing.

You'll have to have an account with the same name and password you logon to W98 with on the XP machine to connect in that direction.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I went between 98 and XP several times between several machines. If your IP addresses are set right and everything, it WILL work. I hard bind my IP's for this. The first two numbers of the IP address and all the Subnet must be the same. The last two numbers of the IP address, or at least one of them, must be diferent. A subnet of, like, 255.255.0.0 usually works very well. I have had a lot of success (and you can use something else) with having one machine's IP as 7.14.49.56 and the other as 7.14.49.49 or something like that. After that, set the sharing up like you want and it SHOULD work great. Also, do use a crossover cable if going between computer to computer and a patch cable for going between computer and the hub. Otherwise, nothing will happen. Both can be found at Radioshack.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I went between 98 and XP several times between several machines. If your IP addresses are set right and everything, it WILL work.
Well... not always. Microsoft's lame computer browser scheme is very fragile and will frequently result in a machine being "lost" in Network Neighborhood when you mix W9x and NT based machines, but especially XP for some reason. The network can work for months, then one day you can't find a machine or two. Even Microsoft has admitted there's sometimes an issue, they just don't have any specific advice on how to fix it. :) This issue doesn't come up if you have a local DNS or WINS server, but that's something that most workgroup LANs lack. Adding NETBEUI protocol to all the machines is a very common fix for this problem for one reason, it works.

·
Registered
529 Posts
johnwill said:
Well... not always. Microsoft's lame computer browser scheme is very fragile and will frequently result in a machine being "lost" in Network Neighborhood when you mix W9x and NT based machines, but especially XP for some reason. The network can work for months, then one day you can't find a machine or two. Even Microsoft has admitted there's sometimes an issue, they just don't have any specific advice on how to fix it. :) This issue doesn't come up if you have a local DNS or WINS server, but that's something that most workgroup LANs lack. Adding NETBEUI protocol to all the machines is a very common fix for this problem for one reason, it works.
You're better off with Linux. :rolleyes: I know I have never seen that, though I have only done a two computer network.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.