Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor asked me yesterday what I though about his Dodge & I'm not sure so thought i'd post it.

He has a 97 Dodge Intrepid that starts & runs fine until it gets up to op. temp then shuts down & won't restart until it cools all the way back down.

He said there arent any coolant leaks, block doesn't appear to be cracked
( compression test ), thermostat is fine.

Any ideas ? I donno .

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
It may not be related to the cooling system. It sounds like when the car gets up to normal temp, something heats up and shuts things down. Might check the ignition control module.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My brother had a Chrysler Concorde that did the same thing. Turned out to be the PCM, but it could be multiple electrinic components that could cause this.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Get a can of starting fluid from the parts store. Keep this in the car, next time the car dies, pop the air cleaner open and spray some starting fluid in the air intake, if the card starts and dies, there is a fuel problem.

If the engine cranks but does not even kick or fire, you have an ignition problem. Most likely ignition module, coil or a bad connection. Could be a PCM, but I would leave this to last as it is $$$.

JamesO

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.