Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a Gigabyte GeForce 6600GT 128MB AGP video card. I have an ABIT KD7 Motherboard with an 8x AGP slot, and the video card is also 8x.

Problem is, I installed the card, have had no problems, but when I display the VGA information, it shows my card as only running at 4x. My motherboard has an 8x AGP slot, so I do not understand why it is doing this, nor have I been able to find an option to switch it back to 8x.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

System specs if needed:

AMD Athlon XP 2600+
Geforce 6600GT AGP8X 128MB
ABIT KD7 Motherboard
1GB 333mhz DDR ram
550 Watt power supply
40GB ATA-100 HD
DVD and CDRW drives
Sound Blaster 5.1

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: My drivers and BIOS are both up to date. I have checks the CMOS almost half a dozen times now and cannot find any way to change this setting.

Also, under advanced display properties...it shows my adapter as being "PCI x0", but still reads as 4X AGP under the VGA settings of the Nvidia software included with the card.

I'm stumped.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
I'm thining it could be the old AMD-AGP bug creeping up, bt likely not. Anyway, it doesn't matter as AGP 8X is hardly any faster.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried using the drivers that came with my card, after using the driver cleaner utility and following the instructions. Still reads it as only a 4X :dead:

So, I wiped it again, and went back to the newest drivers from the nvidia website...again to no avail. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

I guess if it doesn't run much faster in 8X mode, its not much of a loss. It just sort of bothered me since my TI-4200 ran in 8X perfectly fine. Oh well, I won't complain, the new card smokes it anyways.

Thanks for the help anyway, it is appreciated :).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.