Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beware of possibly having a flakey battery on this MoBo.

For the 2+ months I've been running this board, I had had only 2 very minor glitches... bios needed updating to run the Gigaraid in ATA mode... the clock did not display the correct time on one boot about 2 weeks ago. I chaulked up the clock thing to being just a fluke. Well, today, I pulled the power, opened up the case and installed a new quieter exhaust fan in the top of it. I hooked up all the devices and plugged her back in. Mashed the power button, and... nothing, nothing. Checked the cable, and reset the surge protector, and... still no power whatsoever. I changed the cable and the outlet used, and still nothing. I then remembered the clock thing and slid the case side off, popped the battery of the MoBo, grabbed the battery off another board I have, and placed it in the Giga'. Hit the power button, and wham... power !!
The whole system seems to be even more stable and smooth now. I shut it down, pulled the plug again, let it sit for a half hour or so, plugged it back up and hit the power, perfect !!
The battery that came with my board is a KTS brand and not the good ol' Maxell or Panasonic I'm used to.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think I have the same problem! I noticed yesterday that the windows clock was about 15 minutes behind the current time. I was like, what the hell - perhaps the MSFT time server was screwed up, so I did a manual update.

Then 12 hours later, the clock was off by 15 minutes again (slower). So I was like, crap - must be the mobo - 8knxp gigabyte.

So I went to WalMart, and shelled out 287 cents for 2 replacement CR2032 batteries. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I had that same KTS PoS battery you are describing. Replaced them with Energizers. If that fails, I am going to buy a couple of hamsters and put them in a round cage, with wires connected to the mobo.

Crappy *** KTS battery

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Better only get one hamster. Otherwise before long you'll have way more than two, and fry your mobo. :tongue2:

Seriously they probably buy these batteries in crates of hundreds of thousands of units, and it takes years to use them up, by which time the charge in many of them has degraded. Not to mention the mobo in-box shelf-time. I have a friend who swore that any time a computer starts acting strangely, the battery is one of the first things you should try changing.

-clintfan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.