Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Gigabyte 8KNXP motherboard, 1gb of Corsair XMS DDR3200 memory and Radeon 9700 Pro . I have all the latest drivers, bios updates and have tried the system in various builds. My problem is the system, which is running Windows XP Pro, keeps crashing and restarting when using a PIV 3ghz 800fsb hyper threading chip. It runs excellently with a PIV 2.66ghz 533fsb non hyper threading chip. Thinking it must be the second hand 3ghz pentium I went out and bought a new 3.2ghz 800fsb chip. Exactly the same trouble. The system posts correctly showing the details of the chip fine but when it gets to the WinXP welcome screen it either crashes and restarts or will crash after 30 seconds beyond this. It sometimes even makes it to the desktop screen but will crashout and restart after a few seconds. One point worth mentioning is it seems ok in safe mode.
I have tried everything at the bios including disabling hyper threading but no joy. I have tried the motherboard without the additional DPS2 daughter board which supposedly keeps the power to the chip constant but again it still crashes. I cannot even do a fresh install of WinXP with this chip in, I have to put the 2.66ghz 533fsb back in to install windows. My PSU is a 450 enermax. I have thought it could be the motherboard at fault but why does it work brilliantly when the 533fsb is installed. It becomes unreliable only when a 800fsb hyper threading chip is in. The motherboard is brand new and is made for this type of chip, as it has the 875p canterwood chipset. Any help would be appreciated.cheers

·
Registered
42 Posts
Kreator, finding, and installing the F6E beta bios helped me out with a couple problems I was having with my 8knxp. It has ran flawlessly since. You can get it HERE. Let us know if this helps.
NOTE: This bios file is NOT for the Ultra board.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for that Greyboy, I am currently using F5 bios from Gigabytes website. I have managed to cure the problem by using the instructions from Corsair's website.

Had to ramp the voltage to the memory up to 2.7v and use 2-3-3-6 latency settings. PC is stable at this but I have downloaded the F6e update that you posted. Where did you find this update as I cannot find it on any website? Did Gigabyte mail it you? Thanks all the same for the help.

·
Registered
42 Posts
To be honest with you, I can't remember where I got the file. It was posted on a forum similar to this, (that I forgot to b-mark) by what I assumed to be an "insider" at Giga.
The big problem mine was giving me, was not going through the drive detection for the ITE Raid on a restart, it would only work properly from a cold boot or shutdown/restart. And of course, Windbloze couldn't "see" the drives without the ITE bios first "seeing" them. This drove me nuts 'til the wee hours, the first day I had this board.
I must say, I've had NO other problems and really really like this board. I wanted to try something different, as I've had big time problems from Abit, Asus, and MSI in the past, and don't really trust their boards anymore. So far, this Giga seems to be a real gem.
PS, I like your choice of memory, as that is what I'm using as well.

Cheers, I'll type at ya later...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.