Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to these forums and looking for help with my 88-89 Prelude(not sure which.. :4-dontkno ) it doesn't seem to be getting any spark at all for some reason. I have gotten a used ignition coil and ignition module from a junk yard, is there a way to tell if their good or not? If so, how? If you know that is. What would cause it not to get any spark exactly? The engine is a DOHC 2.1L and also would maybe the Crankshaft Positioning Sensor cause it not to fire over? See it cranks yes, just won't fire over because it's not getting any spark at all.. Help?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mullet Man said:
Pull the distributer cap off and then crank it over. Make sure the distributer is turning to begin with.
Sorry for taking so long to post back was kinda busy throughout the time. But yes, it is turning what else would cause it not to fire over or get any spark exactly?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Possibly a bad coil?

Try an Ohm meter, the primary winding should be below 25 Ohms, some HEI systems have primary resistance as low as 1.5 Ohms! Secondary should be 5000 Ohms or less typically around 2500 Ohms as I recall?. Usually the primary winding opens up most often.

JamesO

·
Registered
57 Posts
Those engines are known for distributor bearing wearing out and chewing up the coils inside it. One usually has to replace the entire distributor and usually only available from Honda. They are also known for bad ignition (ignitor) modules. Check to make sure you have keyed power into the distributor and the ignition coil. It takes some ingenuity but with a helper cranking it over you can check to see if the ignitor is shutting down the power to the coil. If not the ignitor or the position sensor are bad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JamesO said:
Possibly a bad coil?

Try an Ohm meter, the primary winding should be below 25 Ohms, some HEI systems have primary resistance as low as 1.5 Ohms! Secondary should be 5000 Ohms or less typically around 2500 Ohms as I recall?. Usually the primary winding opens up most often.

JamesO
Ok, how exactly would I test this coil? I looks like this http://129.33.93.231/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/imc/images/full/5081.jpg could you tell me how to test it? I can't find nothing about testing it in the manual or internet.

Bald Eagle said:
Those engines are known for distributor bearing wearing out and chewing up the coils inside it. One usually has to replace the entire distributor and usually only available from Honda. They are also known for bad ignition (ignitor) modules. Check to make sure you have keyed power into the distributor and the ignition coil. It takes some ingenuity but with a helper cranking it over you can check to see if the ignitor is shutting down the power to the coil. If not the ignitor or the position sensor are bad.
Erm, how would I see if it's shutting down or not?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I take it no one is gonna answer me back on this? Well then thanks for the help but I will consult others on help with this.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sorry I havent been back for a while - too much other stuff going on. I had the wrong distributor in mind with my previous post. However much is still the same.

The easiest way to check the inputs to the coil is to use a 12 V. test light. With Key on, you should have power to one side of the coil. If the windings are ok, you will also have power on the othe side of the coil as well. Find the wire that goes from the distributor to the coil. This wire is the one the distributor grounds to trigger the coil firing. Put your test lite on this terminal at the coil and have someone crank the engine over. The test lite shouild flicker. If not, the problem lies in the distributor. likely either the ignitor or the position sensor. these are much harder to diagnose without professional tools such as a scope!. It may be easiest to grab another complete distributor from a wrecker or recycler if you can find one. Pay careful attention to the way the rotor is pointing before you remove the old one and make sure the new one goes in the same way. Hope this helps.l

·
Registered
6 Posts
ya know folks.....my crx had the same problem. no spark....looked further into it and found no fuel also. common factor was the " main relay"...it was bad. replaced that and have been problem free. good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same exact problem with my 89'. it sounds like the distrubitor cap is probally dirty. i spent a couple days trying to figure why it wouldn't start. it would sometimes start and then die out. but if you take it off and clean it out it's probally wet or dirty and stopping your spark.

Hello, I am new to these forums and looking for help with my 88-89 Prelude(not sure which.. :4-dontkno ) it doesn't seem to be getting any spark at all for some reason. I have gotten a used ignition coil and ignition module from a junk yard, is there a way to tell if their good or not? If so, how? If you know that is. What would cause it not to get any spark exactly? The engine is a DOHC 2.1L and also would maybe the Crankshaft Positioning Sensor cause it not to fire over? See it cranks yes, just won't fire over because it's not getting any spark at all.. Help?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.