Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone can help me out.. I'm working on a 84 Toyota truck 22R Carbeurated (140K miles), and it doesn't want to seem to idle.

Let's see if I can explain:

It's hard to start, doesn't seem to want to fire.. If I hold the gas pedal down it will start up... When it first starts it idles fine for about 30 seconds and then acts like it's only got 2 cylinders and will barely run, if I rev it up it clears up.. I just bought it a month ago, but I've replaced the plugs 2 weeks ago, and just did the wires/cap/rotor today. But I checked the plugs and they were very black after only 2 weeks.

A mechanic adjusted the timing, but I recheck it today, and it was off, so I reset it again, but still haven't seemed to correct anything. I checked compression in #1 and #2 and they both registered at 150.

Any thoughts????

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Depends on how far you hold the gas pedal down, if you have it floored, then you probably have a carb fuel level problem flooding the engine. Not enough air and too much fuel!

It may also be a problem with the choke not working correctly as well.

Get your self a can of Starting Fluid to use as a test. When the vehicle will not start easily, hit it with a shot of Starting Fluid, if the engine starts right away, you are not getting enough fuel, if the engine does not even kick, you probably have an ignition problem.

JamesO

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.