Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a ibm deskstar 80 gig hard drive and i had to reformat it. after i reformatted it the capacity dropped to 40 gigs. can anybody help me out on how to retreive my lost disk space? i'm runnin win98 and i think the hard drive was ntfs but now it's fat 32. actually this hard drive was on anotha comp runnin under win xp pro but i zapped the mother board on that comp (stupid me) and put it on anotha comp dat was runnin 98 and reformatted it and now i'm in this situation... (i know i know i'm an idiot) daz y i'm askin anybody out there if they can help me out...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Have you checked with fdisk ? Maybe you have two partitions or is the only partition 40 GB + free space where you can create a second partition ?
gr

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
You can use the Maxtor diagnostics to write zeros to the entire disk, then partition it. I suspect you'll find the missing memory.

If you boot the Windows floppy boot disk and type:

FDISK /STATUS

Do you see the whole disk capacity?

·
Registered
1 Posts
80 gig reporting as 40 gig

One question, how old is your computer? One reason for this is that the bios might not support it and you are seeing the maximum allowed size the bios will recognize. I found one way around this was to install a HDD with the partition size I wanted to use for the OS, then go inside of the OS to partition the rest of the disk.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.