Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have noticed that recently my computer has been throwing up the following message when booting, 2nd ide channel, 80 controller cable not connected (or somethin very similar) it seems to have caused problems in disc recognition on my cd-rom drive. any ideas what this problem is caused by and how to fix it? thanks in advance

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Normally for CDRom drives you do not need to have the 80 connector cable unless you have a drive (hard drive) on there that needs one.

However, that being said, there are 40 connector cables (older ones) and 80 connector cables for the IDE ribbon cables. Many hard drives do not work correctly unless you have the 80 connector cables. Unfortunately, they look very much alike, so you maybe have to count the connectors.

Another good way to tell usually, is the most 80 connector cables have a Black connection on the End for the master drive, a Grey one in the middle for the slave drive, and a blue connector usually that goes to the motherboard. Some companies now are using other color schemes, so that is not always true in the color scheme.

If not sure about the cable, stop by a computer store and pick some up and change them because they are not a high dollar item and are reasonably priced. That is my recommendation.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info, i'll open her up and take a look later

·
1,438 Posts
The chief difference between an 80 wire and 40 wire 40 pin cable for IDE connection is that the 80 wire has every other wire a white "ground" wire to ground out induced currents (the data travels so fast in modern IDE connections that it can induce a current in adjacent wires and cause data corruption)
So while you can use an 80 wire 40 pin on a CDROM you should not use a 40 wire 40 pin on a hard drive.
Now back to what causes your problem.
It is possible that the cable has just shaken loose from one end; but more common is that the repeated heating and cooling of the cable has caused the crimp at one end or the other to bite through some of the wires. This often begins with the insert notification and command wires at the outsides resulting in the image(icon) for the inserted disk not being updated until you explore the drive.But it is not limited to that.
So a new cable is worth trying.
Secondly it could be a problem with the controller on the motherboard or the drive itself, but lets wait on that until you have replaced the cable and made sure the power connectors are tight.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
god i love this site and you lovely ppl, always so damn helpful. I've opened her up and had a look, the 80 controller cable (recognised by the sheer size) seems to be well connected at both ends so thats ruled out the easiest remedy. I will be purchasing a new one tomorrow and trying a replacement to see if that solves the problem, i'll post any results as they occur. again a heart felt thanks to you all :heartlove

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
We're always glad to help and hear that our efforts are appreciated. Please let us know how things work out. :^)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.