Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello people, first i want to say that english is not my native lenguage but ill try to do my best.

Well like a 5 month ago i buy a asus nvidia 6800 gt video card, im aware of the bug with the previus driver from nvidia but this is not the case cuz i had install an older driver that fix that problem, after playing like half hour some games start acting realy strange... for example in warcraft 3 its like the monitor focus on a small part of what i should be seeing and i have to alt tab to windows and then alt tab again to go to the game and magicaly its works fine... another example is gta san andreas after playing for a while a black orizontal line show up in the middle of the screen.. the exact same thing happen with manager 2005... and while playing homeworld 2 the ships after a while start changin colors... the first time i notice something was not working right was while playing doom 3... some strange lines show... thous small orizontal lines where look like static dunno how to discribe them 8(

Well now after that long description of what i see, ill try to give a short comment of what i have try to eliminate posible porblems...

Like a mouth after buying my video card i upgrade my ram... y but some corsair memorie that is not in the certificated list of my bord... after testing with some kingstone memorie that it is certificated nothing change.. still all the above problems.

I also try another power surge.... still same problems...

I disconect ever non esential hardware... no change.

One of the first ideas that went trow my mind was that maybe i had a temperature problem... so i buy some 12cm fans... no change.

Finaly im now testing the video card on my moms pc.. so far no trouble... i still want to do some more testing to be 100 % sure... but i dunno what else i can do 8(

Some idea or help is thx.

My sistem is>

P4e 3.0 ghz
Motherboard Asus P4C800 deluxe.
Video Card Asus nvidia 6800 gt agp (not useing the driver with the problem mentioned on the stiky)
Mem... well i have 1g of corsair and 512 kingstone memorie all ddr400
power supli is a echostar 680w
Im useing win xp im useing

PLZ HELP. :sad:

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Make sure power dongles are plugged securely to vid card. You may want
to update the chipset drivers. Good luck. May try to reinstall dx9

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
after playing like half hour some games start acting realy strange...
That's usually a symptom of an overheating video card. Have you tried running your computer with the case open and aiming a desk fan directly at the video card? You really need to blow a lot of air directly on the video card rather than just add some case fans to cool it down very much. If it runs longer before having problems or stops having problems then it's overheating.

Another thing to try is to underclock your video card with CoolBits (instructions here). Lowering the clock rates reduces the temperature of the video card and also reduces the load on your power supply. If underclocking makes the problems go away then you know that you do not have a software problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i move my pc under an air conditionare and look likes its not a temp problem... any other ideas??? and io already try what the other poster suggest.

HELP

·
Registered
209 Posts
airconditioner, be carefull with that... 1 drop of water and you wont want to use your comp for afew days... i dropped a wire in by accident, hit the video ram the screen looked like an old tv without reception.
thankfully no damage

if you tried underclocking it and all that it could be a video card problem, if it works well in your other computer, then it could be an agp/pcie problem or a chipset problem.
a new motherboard could possibly solve the problem, but i woulddnt just go buy one or anything, so some more experimenting and make sure theirs no new drivers for your agp or anything.

·
Registered
21 Posts
same prob...6800 video issue

I am also experiencing the same error...
Asus 6800 TD that has an intermittent attack and monitor goes to focus on a small part of the screen in wildly low res...alt tab in & out takes it back to normal...its like a resolution issue
this happens in games like CS online, Area 51, Farcry BUT not just games...whilst surfing in firefox,...or just sitting in windows XP???
have changed the card (for another of same)
ram ( 1 gig of Giel to 1 gig kingmax)
MOBo (from p4p800-VM to a new P4P800-E-Delux)
CPU (3 gig to a 3gig E Prescott)
PSU (400 to a antec 500)

also tried herbal remedies....HDD reinstall, 4 different Nvidea ref drivers from 71 to the latest 78.01, fan blowing on card, DX 9C reinstall...can happen 4 times in a day ..then not at all for 5-6 days???

boy can I use some thoughts? will change the card this week but sure would be nice to beat the sucker...

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Well you've already been awfully thorough but have you tried the old "slow down the AGP port" trick? (instructions here). If you're running out of ideas that's always worth a try. I've seen unstable AGPs turn monitors off and people have fixed it by disabling fast writes or slowing the AGP speed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks...Asus seems suss..

Thanks UncleMarco..I am suspicious of the Asus connection as Oso also had an Asus (although the GT version) I actually have the V9999 GT in my machine and have not had a problem...will try the AGP tweak

Thanks

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I may have found your problem. You mentioned the fact that you were both running ASUS cards and that reminded me of someone who was having weird problems with ASUS SmartDoctor. Then I searched around and found this thread. I'd try getting the latest version of SmartDoctor. If that doesn't work then trying uninstalling SmartDoctor although you may end up with less control of the fan speed. It's still worth slowing the AGP speed down because that seemed to solve some peoples' problems as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DUDE THX FOR THAT LINK, i was realy scared that my problem was the video card cuz i live in south america and i bought the card in usa... and sending the video card was goin cost lots of $$$ i hope all my problems stop after unistalling smart doctor.

Ill post again later tonight... after some testing.

THX AGAIN :smooch:

·
Registered
21 Posts
no more smartdoc..

I have removed Smart Doc and so far no sign of the problem, but it can take up to 5-6 days before I will feel like a winner....will post update
Cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.