Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I just got my 7900GT in the mail today.
BUT in an earlier thread I was told I need a new PSU to run it. The minimum for the card is 350 I have a 400W. I have a couple questions.

1. What do I have to do before I put it in IE remove drivers (how exactly)

2. I know it WILL run but what are the side effects IE computer restart during hard gaming.

3. Is there ANY chance above like 2% that if the PSU could blow and take the MB with it or something.

Because see I was talking with my friend on ventrilo he said that nothing bad could really happen and I should be able to run it for awhile. He also said that there is no chance that the PSU could blow up my comp or whatever lol.

Thanks in advance :wave:

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
You can go into the device manager and under your graphics card uninstall the driver and windows will go back to the default generic driver, you can then remove your old card and install the new ( don't forget to connect the extra power socket the card requires

Unless you have a good quality 400W supply there is no guarantee that it will work. If you have a generic power supply the chances are it's not putting out anywere near 400W, this also reduces with age as well.

I am not sure were your friend is getting his figures from or he is just basing his opinion on his personal experience but it is actually a relatevly common thing for a generic power supply to take other pieces of equipment out with it as they do not have the means to fail safely like the better quality units do. It also depends on what fails in the power supply. If it sends a power surge through your unit then there is a good chance it will not die alone.

As always we recommend quality units, not because we like to see people spend money but because we don't like seing peoples computer damaged and is a horrible thing to have to say to the person " we try'd to tell you "

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well its a rosewill power supply, I don't know how "generic" that is.
Here are the specs http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...ter+Case+400W(20+4+pin)+Power+Supply+-+Retail

So you really think it would blow up just because its being strained?
I really don't know where your getting this from. If it can't put out enough power for the VC then it should just shut off not blow up and destroy your components. And just for the record I fully intend to get a new PSU. I just don't want to wait another week untill it comes before I can use my card (it just came in the mail today :) ) So I am just wondering if it will work fine with my current one for about a week.

Well thanks for you help blackduck :)

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi Phantom2828,

I don't recommend using that weak of power supply with this video card, because that is a great card and you don't want to harm it.

However, that is not why I am replying to your thread. If you want a real great deal on OCZ (and they are a great supply), Tiger Direct (excellent company) has the 700 watt OCZ gamestream on sale right now with the rebate for $94 bucks.

That particular supply is even better and stronger than the one you have listed (which is an excellent supply) and for a more reasonable price. That is a real steal and much better than the one you quoted. I just wanted to bring that to your attention in case you are insterested.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok I guess I will just have to wait until I get my new PSU :(

Thanks for bringing that deal to my attention. I have never used tiger direct before though.

One more question is 700WATTS TOO much, I mean could it harm my computer by having THAT much power.

EDIT: I just checked the rebate on that PSU and it expires in two days! :mad: The PSU won't even be to my house in two days.

Its still a good deal though.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Ok I guess I will just have to wait until I get my new PSU :(

Thanks for bringing that deal to my attention. I have never used tiger direct before though.

One more question is 700WATTS TOO much, I mean could it harm my computer by having THAT much power.
Hi again,

No, 700 watts would actually be better because it would last through your next build or so. That baby will permit you to get better and better video cards as they become available. They have to power for what you have now and more for later upgrades and there is no problem with the downside of having too much power.

If you like NewEgg, they also have the new Antec Trio 650 on sale right now for $99 after rebate. That also is a great supply and at a great price.

Always feel free to ask questions that you might have. Post back if you do have further questions.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just looked at the Antec.
I will NEVER buy a PSU that even has one review where it blows up. Also the MB connector is only 23 pin.

I would really go for that 700 OCZ on tiger direct but the rebate is basically over. But its only like 20 bucks more for 100 more WATTS...

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
23 pin? If you saw that, it must be a typo, it will either be a 24 pin, a 20 + 4 pin, or a 20 pin.

This Antec Trio 650 w is actually $100 after a mail in rebate, so look at that if the deal on the OCZ 700 w expires.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Missing a pin, the -5v pin so it is 23 pins and is why it wont power up my abit AT8. Antec told me it was not a defect that tehy took it out and have to contact motherboard manufacturer. They shoudl advertise this because it is essential information. So I went and bought the 700w thermaltake and my abit AT8 is working great :)
here is what antec wrote to me inm reply to why 23 not 24: Description: trio is advertised as 24 PIN NOT 23 Comment By: Chris Patterson ------------------------------------------------------- Comment: All of our current power supplies have an empty socket and it is not an incompatibility. The power supply you are using is an ATX12V v2.x model. Our power supplies and enclosures are manufactured to the Intel Standard. For the ATX12V v2.x standard, the -5V rail has been removed because it is no longer needed. That is why you will notice a missing wire in the motherboard connector. (I take it that this is what made it incompatible with my abit AT8 motherboard 32x)
Mine blew up in smoke after hooking up to new system. Idle power seemed ok, but as soon as I pressed the power button a wizz, loud pop and some smoke was all that came out of this puppy
Died after 5 minutes of running. Sent it back for a refund.
24-pin connector to the mobo was missing an entire wire and i couldn't turn on the pc at all. i am sending it in for a replacement and am extremely dissatisfied that i have to wait so long over the holidays to get this back
Now remember to always read the reviews kids :4-thatsba

Anyways thanks for you advice tumbleweed, its greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

If I find a great deal as I wander around, I will send it to you if you are interested.

That pin BTW, although most put it in, is no longer used by motherboards made in the last five years. However, they should have clarified that. I think what most do now is just make that pin null (leave it in, not used), but they put it in. The argument by that person who wrote the review that his motherboard did not work because of that pin is not correct. His motherboard does not use that pin anymore.

Anyway, will get back to you if I find a great deal for you.
Have a great evening.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the help you have been giving me Tumbleweed :)

Ok just to clarify.

If I used the card with my current PSU even for one week. Chances are my PSU would blow up destroying my components?

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi Phantom,

You know, honestly I can't say it would or it would not because I just don't know. Some times it will do harm and other times it will work although not up to snuff.

I have to advise you that I would not do that, but one just never knows for sure and I would suspect that you would see much reduced performance as a minimum. It may run it for a while, but if you choose to run it, then unplug everything you can like extra drives, extra usb devices, anything that uses power that is not needed at that time, so the remaining power would be dedicated to the +12 line.

Just to clarify, you have to make that choice, I have to advise you that it could do damage, but that is not certain. If there is any way I can help, please let me know and I will do my best to provide an answer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok thanks. :)

I really don't have a very power hungry system

1GB DDR RAM

60 GB HD :p need a new one

CD and DVD drive

AMD 64 3200+

IDK I probably will just wait because if something does go wrong I am screwed because I have no money to fix it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.