Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my speakers a couple of years ago, and I like how they sound. But now with a new computer I have a 7.1 integrated mobo setup with four output ports, and a 5.1 speaker system with only two plugs. I plug in the green plug and the black plug, but then my software only recognizes it as a 2.1 system and I get nothing from the rear satellites. Is there some kind of adapter I need to use here? Or should I just expect this to happen unless I buy new speakers?

A new sound card would probably be in order anyway, but I don't have a problem with the integrated sound thus far. I'm a frightened cat who never pumps the volume enough to notice.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Is there an option with the software included to put out 5.1 ? Usually its more along the lines of software controlled.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Figured it out. Technology upgrades brought new colors, and with new colors, version confusion. The black port on the mobo is apparently for the sub and center speaker, whereas the black plug on the speakers is for the sub and rear speakers. I plugged the black wire into the purple hole, and everything works fine now.

(I think this is actually a quadraphonic system, but it is at least a 4.1, not a 5.1. A 5.1 would have, I think, necessitated three plugs, and then I probably wouldn't have been confused.)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It happens far too often.

In this case, though, it was good to have someone encourage me to find a software problem. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.