Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I RMAed my 6600GT AGP because after I played Doom 3, it froze at the ID intro, and then I restarted and tried Indigo Prophecy (Fahrenheit) and the computer completly powered off. After that the card hasn't been working. All these times I though it could of been my PSU, but eVGA tech support said I was getting suffient volts for the card, as 11.5v is the minimum it would run on (still with stability issues) I am getting 11.88v on idle, but 12.12v+ when doing intense apps/games. The thing I discovered and never told tech support until later today is that the fan on the card was connected by two out of three pins (those things that hooks the fan down), and the fan could slide off of the GPU, I could see no sign of thermalpaste on the back of the fan/gpu. What kind of problems would that have done to the card, and could this have been my problem all long?

·
Registered
73 Posts
It could have burnt the GPU out...if throttling or power off on overheat was enabled, you should be safe.

Since you said that your comp powered down on one occasion this suggests it kicked in and saved you but any further testing needs to be done with the heatsink and fan firmly in place and correctely fitted.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The thing is after the pc powered off, the card refused to work (the only time it worked is when the PSU wasn't plugged the card) but the monitor recieved no signal. When the PSU was plugged in the card, the PC started up for 1 sec then quickly powered off. I couldn't use the PC with that card installed.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Sounds like a pretty complicated problem but i think it could actually be pretty simple, i have had a similar issue once before. I got a new case and it had an extra fan in it (the old one only had 4 fan ports and this one has 5) when tried to boot up (by the way; ironically this is also with a 6600GT) it did the same as yours does, the way i stopped this was by disconnecting the fan that was blowing on the CPU(not the heatsink by the way, a case fan). I later found out that the fan was blowing the wrong way lol so it was slowing down the CPU fan and the computer obviously didnt want to run without processor cooling. Anyway im guessing your thinking why did i just read all this crap, right? Well i think your GPU fan is broken and/or is not running at full speed meaning your computer doesnt want to start up and kill your GPU. Does that make any sense to you? i know it doesnt to me :grin:. But i guess a test you could do to make sure is to open up your case, turn on the pc and look at the GPU fan to see if it starts to spin, and if it does then thats obviously not the problem. So what else is there to try? ah yes your PSU, could you tell me what brand and wattage it is please so i can tell you whether it should be reliable (it shud be written on the side of your PSU in case you didn't know that.

My longest post ever! :cool:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The fan does run, and the PSU is a Raidmax 420w. I get 11.88v at idle, and 12.12v under intense situations.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.