Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, i'm new to the forum, Hello. I did a search and didnt see anything similar in the first five pages, so i decided to make my own topic.
The thing i have been experiencing is that after a time (sometimes 10 minutes, somtimes 4 hours) of playing a newer game (EG: Warhammer 40K, TFT, Civ4) the sound will studder, the fps will drop to something like 3, then the comp will freeze completely. Come to think of it, i dont think i've seen this in an FPS (I play CSS/Battlefield 2).

Is there a program i could use to get the exact specs for my computer? I'm too lazy to go look up my receipts for the parts (built most of it myself), and it would prove useful with my other computers.

From what i can do off of memory, i have a 6600 GT, Athon 64 3400+, Audigy 6.1, 1 gig of Corsair ram, and a newer Asus mobo. My comp runs between 35 and 40 degrees (40 only when i'm gaming).

Thanks for the help, i'll post the exact specs when i dig out my receipts or get a prog to do a diagnostic.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ Dryden
Welcome :smile:
Everest is a good free diagnostic program and system reader. There is also a neat memory benchmarking tool.

As for your crashes, when you are monitoring your temps, are those case temps? If so, what temps are you seeing for your CPU and GPU? You may be just seeing a case of high case temps...how is your case airflow?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is the case temp, but the case is fairly well circulated. 2 fans other than those that come on mobo/vidcard/PS/whatever. One of the out the side (plastic panel side with a hole cut out in the middle for the fan, and covered by a metal grid to stop stuff from getting in. I'll look up the case model for ya.)

Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD Athlon 64, 2400 MHz (12 x 200) 3800+
Motherboard Name Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe (3 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, Dual Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)
Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce4 SLI, AMD Hammer
System Memory 1024 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award (06/02/05)
Temperatures:
Motherboard 45 °C (113 °F)
CPU 36 °C (97 °F)
GPU 57 °C (135 °F) (bit high there, what is that for?)
Maxtor 6Y080L0 45 °C (113 °F)
SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio

need anything else?

Edit: Ah yes, Windows XP, SP2

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
http://www.pcb.se/ItemInfo?itemId=152567811

lol, thats what it looks like. I added another fan in the back, because i have 3/4 lying around from my old tower (Thing was a freaking monster. 4 feet tall, 3 feet deep, 1 foot wide. Sturdy metal frame, 3 extra fan ports in the front, 6 cd/dvd drive decks. )

Edit: Just realized that those temps... arent exactly at idle. Have WC3 minimized, running a virus scan, and AIM. Among other things (steam, Norton, Xfire... gah, too many programs!)

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
One of the best things you can do to cases is to remove the stamped grill over the fans. :sayyes:
The way most fans push air through them is like trying to stuff a mattress through a window. :rolleyes:
Also what I found worked on my 6600gt was to make sure there is air blown in around the card (droped GPU 6C).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking about doing that (the removing the grill) - Only problem being, i have two cats. I'm worried about cat hair getting in to my comp and jamming up the fans.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
A mesh filter may be a better solution then. It's less restrictive and filters more than kitty hair.

and that 45c for the CPU, is that idle or under load? My A64 3400+ only gets that high when I punish it with rendering tasks.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Dryden said:
I was thinking about doing that (the removing the grill) - Only problem being, i have two cats. I'm worried about cat hair getting in to my comp and jamming up the fans.
I know what you mean about cat hair :sayyes: we have 3 in the house and my system sits on the floor. :rolleyes: The hair gets in any way. I have removed the fan grill on my case and made a filter box that fits over the intake opening, the only problem with filtering is you need to cover up all the places where air can come in. ( this can be quite a job). If you want to make sure the cat's do not deposit and unwanted objects in to your system you can get wire grills to go over the openings that are less restrickting. with one of these filters or some thing similar.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that was under a bit of a load - Minimized wc3, bittorrent, some other stuff. i'll run an idle one later.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ Dryden
I think more importantly is what your temps are at the moment of slowdown or freezing. Your temps posted seem a bit high for the GPU(video card) and your HDD. Your HDD should be about case temps and your case temps should be about 8-10C degrees above a room temp. Your GPU usually runs at higher temps that your CPU and this is OK, but that seems a bit high for medium usage...keep an eye on them when gaming. I saw your case pics. Do you have a fan in the front of the case blowing in? Is the side fan blowing in as well? It should be as that will help keep your GPU and case temps down.

Just another thought, does your AMD CPU have the cool-and-quiet feature enabled? It may be throttling down when getting warm. You can have Everest open and running with the window small just to show temps if that is helpful. ASUS also has the ASUS Probe, which works nicely in some cases. A-Probe also has a feature where it shows the history so you can see what the temps and voltages were when a crash happens.

Mesh filters - if needed, old panty hose works nicely :wink: ...
don't try new ones...the owners get mad :4-thatsba

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Crashed with ASUSprobe running, and now Probe wont start :4-dontkno

Temps looked fine though, i checked them about every 5 minutes before it went down. They stayed the same as the ones i posted earlier.
i think i need to put another fan on for my Video card, so i'll work on doing that tonight. I'll tell ya'll if that fixes it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.