Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a 650w power supply gonna be enough to run 2 GTX 470's in SLI? I have a corsair SSD, 4gbs of ddr2 ram, 1 dvdr drive, a pci wifi card, a asus xonar essence sound card and a couple fans. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Brand & Model of the 650W PSU?
I would want a 750W for one GTX 470 so I definitely wouldn't use a 650W for two.
Is there something you use the PC for that the GTX 470 can't do satisfactorily?
One better GPU is almost always the better option.
Using two GPU's costs more, uses more power, generates more unneeded heat inside the case and you get a small performance gain in return.

·
Networking Team |Tech
4,117 Posts
Hi Biggdawg29,

I recommend more than 650W PSU for SLI. I recommend at going with at least 750W and probably 800W would be suitable. Good luck and happy gaming.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Is a 650w power supply gonna be enough to run 2 GTX 470's in SLI? I have a corsair SSD, 4gbs of ddr2 ram, 1 dvdr drive, a pci wifi card, a asus xonar essence sound card and a couple fans. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

which motherboard make and model do you have ?

It is a Corsair TX650. I am getting low framerates in games. I have a 3.0ghz core2duo processor. Do I need to upgrade the processor maybe

what are the exact specs of your system (use cpu-z if you are unsure)

what resolution do you like to run

what game title are you using

something sounds wrong; you should not be getting low frame rates with a 470

what is the size of the monitor you are using

what are your cpu temps and system temps and hard drive temps

STV Software - Downloads

I suggest you report all your temps to us while the computer is idle

then

run an anti virus scanner / malware bytes / play music file / do a hard drive defrag / run CCleaner all at the same time; then after 10 minutes or so record your temps again

there is a good chance your cpu is throttling back due to excessive heat?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My temps all seem to be fine with the program someone suggested to run. I notice my pny 470 runs hot after I run the benchmark test on mafia ii and I only get 22 frames per second with the settings maxed out. Could the card be the problem? Also my CPU is a core 2 duo 3.0 ghz.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
sounds to me like your card is sick / I would contact video card manuf to see an RMA there is no way in hades you should drop to 22fps with a gtx470!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.