Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my comp has XP, P4 and a 32MB ATI Rage 128 Ultra and I dl'ed the Demo for AOE3 and noticed that I should prolly get a 64MB one for when the game is released. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a decent performing, decent priced one to install and how hard are they to install yourself? Thank you.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
There's not really much point in getting 64MB video cards anymore. The current low-end video cards which have any decent speed are at least 128MB. What's your price range and what kind of hardware do you have (computer model or motherboard model or AGP slot kind)? Usually installing a video card is as simple as: uninstall your old display driver, remove the old card, insert the new card, install your new driver. Occasionally things do go wrong but usually it's easy if you don't mind opening your case and fiddling around inside a bit.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a Dell Dimension 4550 and I'm not sure on the Motherboard or the AGP slot. I'm prolly guess somewhere between 25 and 75 bucks. Is that reasonable? I'm not sure about these things. Thanx again.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
You have a 1.5 volt AGP 4X slot which means you have lots of choices. It's important to make sure you get 128 bit video RAM rather than 64 bit video RAM. It makes a huge difference in image quality in this price range. The ones below are all 128 bit cards. They're in order from slowest to fastest. Assuming you can order at www.newegg.com:

Radeon 9250 at $41. Cheapest card you should consider getting. It's a DirectX 8 card so it may have problems with some current games and many future games.

Radeon 9550 at $54.50. This is a DirectX 9 card and the minimum card I would consider getting. It will be much more useful in the future than a Radeon 9250.

Radeon 9600 pseudo-Pro at $74. This is just a faster version of the Radeon 9550.

Radeon 9600 Pro at $81. This is a bit out of your price range but it will allow you to run at higher resolution than the other cards because it has fast video RAM.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
UncleMacro said:
Radeon 9600 Pro at $81. This is a bit out of your price range but it will allow you to run at higher resolution than the other cards because it has fast video RAM.
i'd skip lunch a few days and come up with the additional 7$ for this last card.

really i would.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

I agree with Walt (he is usually right) on this one. Personally, I have owned several of these cards and the 9600 pro is a great card and worth more than the difference in what you would have to spend extra. I have one of those in my spare computer and you would be pleased if you can stretch your budget somewhat. It is a great card.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If all you have is the card (the LE) one can you DL the drivers off of the ATI website? I think a buddy has one of these, but only the card, no mauals or cd's.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK i bought it off him and he said it is ATI Raedon 9600 LE which is supposed to be faster than the SE. Is this the same one you guys are thinking of? Thanx.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I've looked around a bit and a 9600 LE is not a common item and the few I found seemed to vary quite a bit. Judging from the "LE" I would guess that it has 64 bit RAM rather than 128 bit so it's slower than the ones I linked up above. If that's true then you may have to keep the screen resolution rather low. But it should still be a substantial step up from a Rage 128.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was wondering if I could get a little short step by step guide on how to install the new video card and completely uninstall the old one. Thanx for any help!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Short version of changing video cards:
1) Uninstall the display drivers for your old video card using the Add or Remove Programs window (thorough instructions here).
2) Turn the machine off, remove your old video card, and insert the new one being sure it's completely pushed into the AGP slot.
3) Turn the machine back on and boot Windows.
4) Download new video drivers from www.ati.com and install them (thorough instructions here).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.