Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sitting in the doctor's office the other day and since I had time to kill, I fired up SpeedTest on my Samsung Galaxy S21-5G out of curiosity. I was a bit surprised at what I saw. Now, that's smokin' speed, I had no idea that was even possible! :D FWIW, this is on a T-Mobile network. This is the first time I've ever seen anything more than around 200 MBPS. I must have been sitting on top of an idle cell tower! :eek:
This is also the first time I've ever seen the 5GUC connection ID, I had to look it up to see what it meant.
T-Mobile to identify fast connections with “5G UC” label on phones

Font Screenshot Technology Multimedia Electronic device

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FIOS still has them, but not by much on the download side. Of course, I know there's two TV's streaming HD video upstairs, and a grandson doing who knows what on his gaming rig, so that might be impacting our download speed a little. ;)

No contest on the upload side, FIOS wins that contest. The 5G is still asymmetrical service, but the uploads are certainly not bad.

Font Multimedia Electronic device Software Screenshot

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, I can imagine uploading 200MB videos or the like is a bit slow with that link. :D I like the fact when I upload my typical video, it's only a few seconds before it's done. ;)

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I predict if 5G really becomes an alternative to FIOS in high population density areas, the infrastructure would quickly be overwhelmed and the speeds would be much lower. FIOS and other end-to-end fiber solutions are somewhat unique in that from the distribution point to the end user there is a clear unshared channel. Cellular service, no matter what speed, still has a one to many model. Most cable networks are also a one to many model, which is why most cable service slows down during peak usage periods.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts