Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I bought 2 256MB DIMMS of PNY PC100 Memory and I put it in my computer and I go to boot it up and when it starts to load Win XP Pro it just completely reboots it self. I cant even get it in to safe mode. Right now i have one of the 256 dimms in there and a 128mb dimm which are both PNY and its running fine with 384MB. Can somone tell me what might be the problem is. I know this computer will support 512 of ram.:confused:

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Bad memory, bad BIOS settings, bad memory socket, take your pick. You need to narrow it down by substitution of a module at a time to see what's causing the failure.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both of the DIMMS are good, both of the memory sockets work, the bios settings say: Memory Slot 0: 256 SDRAM and Memory Slot 1: 256 SDRAM so i dont think the bios settings are wrong. Does it have to do with Windows XP Pro?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My computer is a Hp Pavilion 7850 Pentium 3 933Mhz and it has a Asus motherbord it is a CUW-AM and i dunno the serial number of the motherboard

·
Banned
34 Posts
ahh god i love you people. Well buddy, the CUW-AM is upgradeable to 512 but youll need to either find drivers for a few things or its not possable, its all to do with Windows XP. I dont see why it wont work otherwise but in my experience i had Windows XP pro too and i couldnt upgrade till i bought Windows 2000. So there, som usefull information. By the way whoever replied to an old post of mind, HP really does make it so you cant upgrade their computers, its all about they want you to buy new computers once they come out. Gateway does the same thing. I think Dell is about to also. A word of advice, dont buy HPs in the first place, they suck, so does the support service when you need questions asked. Dont try to e-mail HP either, they give you useless links and no people there know what they are talking about. :angry2:

By the way, you should have bought 133 MHz memory, woulda been a smarter choice, its what i have, and it works GREAT:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.