Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what my problem is? I just bought a 512mb DDR memory from a website. It came in the mail, and then I installed it into the slot where it belongs (and yes it is in correctly). When I start up my computer, it gets to the black Win XP screen and then the whole screen gets distorted with all sorts of colors and freezes right there. When I took the new RAM out, the computer starts up without a problem. I just spent a million bucks on this memory and I'm not about to let it go. PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HELP MEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Uh oh......

Heh, I bought some new DDR memory a while back as well, 256 megs I believe. I don't claim to know what your problem is, but I do know if the stick isn't pushed ALL THE WAY IN, (and it does take some effort to get it to click in all the way) and you turn on your computer, it fries the RAM. Poof........

I hope that's not your problem :no: .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
YIKES

OK I highly doubt thats the problem because i pushed it in with some effort and both clips clicked in by them selves into the lil slots that are there. I really looked over it and made sure it was in correctly. Thanks for your help though....Somebody please help me out here im dying!

·
Citizen of the world
51,059 Posts
Either it's not compatible with your MB or the settings currently in use, or it's bad. Since there is no information on either the specific brand and speed of the memory, or any information at all about the rest of the system, that's about all the help I can offer. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well.....i cant ell u this

ill try and give you all the info i can and mabey u can help me.........

the ram: no idea what brand (has a copper heat sheild over the whole thing, and says warranty void if removed so there is no way to tell) , 512mb DDR SDRAM PC3700 466mhz overclocked (what ever overclocked means)

the pc: eMACHINES T1742, Intel Celeron 1.7Ghz, 128mb DDR RAM, Intel Extreme Graphics 32mb(if that matters),

if u know a way where I can find out about these memory settings joghnwill speaks of, please iether post here, email me [email protected] or instant message me on aol or aim NiTrOuSoXiDe2k ......thanks everyone for your help!!!

·
Citizen of the world
51,059 Posts
I suspect your problem is that the RAM is hi-density RAM, and your MB won't address it. I'm also not sure why you'd buy really fast and expensive memory for a MB that obviously can't use the speed, you're just throwing money away. :rolleyes: I'd send it back and buy the correct memory for the board...

Your machine uses PC-2100 memory, and most likely most 512mb modules will be incompatible. I'd suggest making sure of the specs before you order memory in the future.

·
Registered
6 Posts
HAHAHAHAHA The two sticks of mem hafta be the same. Like you cant have one thats 2100 and one thats 2300 or itll do that. LOL

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
yeah

i was just going to ask if you took out your old memory before you put the new one in.

if you didnt, that is most likely your trouble. i had an argument that almost went to fists because my friend wanted more ram, so i told him he should buy a stick of 256 or 512. well, he decided to buy a 512, and then he got mad when it didnt work. when i explained that the mem sticks have to match up, he got even more pissed, and said he didnt realize he was going to have to throw away his old 128 stick. he acted like i lied to him, and it was my fualt that the new ram didnt work with his old crappy ram. he was so mad he wanted to fight about it. i havent talked to him since.......

i never implied it would work with his old ram, in fact, i said "256 or 512 would work alot better than 128."

i didnt say "if you added another 256 or 512 it would work alot better."

his machine runs so much better that i dont see why he even cared about a 128 stick of slow memory not working.....

~BoB~

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
NEWS FLASH

THIS JUST IN:

the author of the previous post cannot spell the word "Fault"

he screws it up 99% of the time.

~this has been a Bob news update~

·
Citizen of the world
51,059 Posts
mehoron said:
HAHAHAHAHA The two sticks of mem hafta be the same. Like you cant have one thats 2100 and one thats 2300 or itll do that. LOL
Actually, this is not true. I have several machines here that have multiple speed memory installed. Obviously, if you try to run at more than the slowest speed memory, bad things normally happen, but memory speed ratings are only maximum access times, nothing more.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
hmm

i wasnt aware that memory could be matched up that way.

good to hear it though

i remember the old 32 pin peices of crap

they had to match or your machine wouldnt start.

~BoB~

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hmmmmmmmm

ok i will try what bob vila had said.......im gunna take my comp apart now and just give it a shot..........who knows?.....oh yea and......lol......dont laff at me for askin but ...ur not rele bob vila r u? im a big fan lolll.....dont laugh if ur not...lol

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Re: well

bob vila said:
no, i am not in any way related to the mister bob vila that we all know and love. i have been asked that before.

~BoB~
do you play one on TV ? :D :tongue2:

·
Lacoka Nostra
1,067 Posts
mehoron said:
I have one stick thats 256MB DDR PC2100 266MHZ, two 512MB DDR PC2700 333MHZ they all work....

·
Lacoka Nostra
1,067 Posts
johnwill said:
I suspect your problem is that the RAM is hi-density RAM, and your MB won't address it. I'm also not sure why you'd buy really fast and expensive memory for a MB that obviously can't use the speed, you're just throwing money away. :rolleyes: I'd send it back and buy the correct memory for the board...

Your machine uses PC-2100 memory, and most likely most 512mb modules will be incompatible. I'd suggest making sure of the specs before you order memory in the future.
And he did say its overclocked, some times things don't like to be overclocked. Most motherboard that have PC2100 can support PC1600, & PC1600 does 200mhz front side bus (FSB). And PC2100 does 266mhz front side bus (FSB) so pretty much if some motherboards can or can not. My motherboard supports PC1600, PC2100, PC2700 (333MHZ) You have to fine out how much memory your motherboard can support too. Some motherboard the max. can be 1 gig of ram or 512mb or 3 gigs. So you have to fine out about that..........

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.