Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya there, I've been playing WoW for a good 6 months now, and in the last 3 months or so, I've been getting a particularly annoying problem. Sometimes, when I target a mob, or cast a spell/execute a style, my screen will freeze for about 5 seconds. As you can imagine this is extremely annoying and prohibitive to good gameplay. I also experience much lower FPS than I should do (20-30 in most areas, going down to 5-10 in some areas).

My specs are:

Athlon XP 3200 processor
MSI K7N2 Delta Mobo
2GB Kingston 400MHz DDR RAM
Geforce FX 5700 128mb gfx card
Seagate Barracuda 40gb 7200 HDD (about 60% full)

I use the latest Omega drivers (nVidia drivers caused me to crash), my drivers are all up to date, my hard drive is defragged on a weekly basis, and I use the TweakNow reg cleaner to clean up my system.

I'm on a broadband connection, and rarely have more than 200ms latency.

I play on a small (2 PC) network with my husband, who has no problems at all, although he has a slightly better processor (Athlon 64 3400) and a better graphics card (Geforce XT 6600).

If anyone could shed any light on this I'd be very grateful, thanks!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Since you say warcraft was working fine for the first 3 months, it's probably some software problem. A decent place to start is to run spyware scans (adaware, spybot, and cwshredder) and reinstall warcraft (if nothing else here works).

Were there any software changes that happened near the time that your problem started?

Other than that make sure you're computer has been dusted out, and maybe try playing the game with a desk fan blowing into the side of the case while it's open, just to eliminate heat/dust as possibilities.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The previous reply could deffinetly be one way to go i know defragging always helps me alot. (60% though not bad could slow you down a bit) However what caught my eye was the omega drivers. Before i upgraded i ran the game with a fx 5600 and got the same targeting lag after i installed those drivers.
my fps was never great to begin with but only went down a fraction with the new drivers. try running with out any mods like cosmos lootlink etc and see if this helps the fps. as for the mob/target lag loading the newest nvidia drivers fixed it for me on my old system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Um, ok not sure whats happened here, but basically I posted a reply yesterday I think and now its gone :eek:

Anyway, to skip to the end, does anyone know a good 3rd party defragger, as I've heard the windows one is pretty crap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.