Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.

I am lookingintogetting a surround headsetfor my newPC.

Anyone gotusefultips orreccomendations as to what I should get.

I like the idea of 5.1surround soundbut question the quality.
Wirelesswould be good but the cost might come intoconsideration as soundquality is more important ,,,oh,,and with a mic.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
If you have money to burn than get these: http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/productdetail.asp?transid=502141

Can't find many places that say that these are bad.

Medusa gets recommended a lot but there are a lot of people that don't like them.

If you need to go cheap than I have seen Cyber Snipa Sonar's get some decent reviews. They are usb, which means they bypass any soundcards you are currently using and don't have EAX support.

What sound card do you have?

The X-fi line from Creative does a pretty decent job of simulating surround sound on regular headphones. The Asus Xonar does a pretty decent job as well.

Pauldo

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your input,..yeah google headsets! would not have thought about that,...lol.

Was just looking for further help to narrow my search,...I got a realthek 7.1 digital sound card and have decided to go with the Sharkoon Xtatic,,..but I fail to see why I need an additional dolby digital decoder,...anyway got them cheap as and work pretty sweet, noise cancelling would have been better for my purposes but for what I spent I can not complain at all.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Thanks for letting us know. That does look like a good pair of headphones.

The decoder is for digital input. Typically, your soundcard is going to output un-decoded surround signals via the digital output so there needs to be something (usually your receiver would do this) that decodes that 5.1 signal.

Pauldo

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh ok..,..I have set it up both ways and honestly so far the sound is just as good without the decoder. This is the only way for it to work with Skype as well, (I Think). Headset is comfortable as, but maybe a top end pair of stereo headphones is the way to go,..sure games come into that equation but from what I read I am a little dissapointed with the overall quality of sound.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.