Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Tiber Septim and I got in an extra set of 2 x 1GB Corsair RAM sticks today, and while mine work fine, Tiber's are giving him trouble. We've tested each stick individually, as well as using some of my sticks, and they all work fine on their own. We can add a second and third stick to Tiber's system with no problems, but as soon as we add the fourth, in whatever configuration, all we get is a RAM error beep from the motherboard. The LCD panel on the motherboard says "DET DRAM", if that's any help...

He's got:
Intel C2D E6600
Asus Striker Extreme
(He's filled out the My System box if you need further specs.)

Any ideas on what the issue could be? Cheers.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
The first thing I would look at is his approved memory listing in the mobo manual, usually what you will find is there is a list of ram that can be used in 2 slots but not 4 and other ram that can be used in all 4 slots.
The other thing i would do is go to the ASUS site and checkout the latest bios, you may find that there is an update for enhanced memory compatibility or such that may help his cause

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, blackduck.

We checked the QVL, and the RAM he's using is listed as compatible for four slots, so that should be fine. There are several BIOS updates on the ASUS website, and most of them have Memory Enhancement features. While we were waiting for the BIOS download to finish, we kept trying different combinations, different sticks, etc, and the system stopped working altogether. Now, no matter what configuration of RAM we use (0, 1, 2, 3 or 4 sticks), we get no beeps, and the LCD is just stuck on "CPU INIT".

We've tried clearing the CMOS, both with the switch on the motherboard and by removing the battery, but that hasn't helped. We reseated the CPU, and that didn't help. The power supply tested fine on my tester. We even pulled out everything that wasn't necessary (drives, PCI cards, etc), but got no results there either.

This one has me stumped. Obviously it's more than just a RAM compatibility issue though.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
hi
While we were waiting for the BIOS download to finish, we kept trying different combinations, different sticks, etc, and the system stopped working altogether
were you working on a system that was in the process of a bios update?
perhaps i mis-read the post

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Then one of your timings is probably too low to run 4 sticks at or compatibility problems. Try raising the timings and then see how it works out.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
speedster123 said:
were you working on a system that was in the process of a bios update?
Certainly not! No, I just meant we were working on it while the BIOS was being downloaded from the net on my computer.

dai said:
is he running 32 or 64 bit
He's currently using 64-bit.

Kalim said:
Then one of your timings is probably too low to run 4 sticks at or compatibility problems. Try raising the timings and then see how it works out.
We can't change the timings, as the system won't start up.

I'm thinking the motherboard has probably died, because nothing we do now gives any result other than the system getting stuck at "CPU INIT" - no beeps, etc, just nothing.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Put 3 sticks in, set the timings and then shut down. Put the 4th stick in now and reboot. Does it still not boot?

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
In the advanced tab in the bios you'll find the chipset sub memu, there you can change the Dram timing from either enabled to disabled or by spd, once you change that to disabled or manual more options become available, you'll find the memory timings on the sticker on the memory. For ddr2 its typically 5-5-5-15 or 4-4-4-12. You'll also note on the sticker the memory voltage, typically 1.8V to 2.1V. Since you are atempting to run 4 memory modules you'll need to bump the ddr ref voltage up to 2.1V or even 2.2V, since runiing 4 modules typically requires more voltage than specified, the Asus mobo manual will give more detailed info on exactly where it is in the bios and what settings are available.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
What timings/voltages are your RAMs rated for? (post the model number and revision )

Bootup with 1 or two sticks if you can. Then check using Memset the memory timing values after bootup or check default SPD values in the BIOS. Check also the BIOS DIMM voltage.

Striker Extreme is very finicky with memory.

The first thing to do is increase memory voltage one notch and shutdown. restart with 4 sticks and see if it boots.

If not, look at this image.

The values you need to focus on are Performance Level, tRP, tRAS, tRFC, tWTR and Write to Precharge Delay.

Set each of those values one notch higher with 2 sticks in and then shutdown. Restart with 4 sticks and see if it boots up.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
@ twajetmech:

That's what I thought Kalim was referring to. However, the problem is that we cannot access the BIOS - the system will not start up at all now, regardless of how many sticks we have in.

Besides that, the RAM sticks are all exactly the same model, with exactly the same timings - 5-5-5-12.

@ Kalim:

See above.

EDIT: http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/TWIN2X2048-6400.pdf

EDIT 2: Between us, we have 4 sticks labelled "v5.1" and 4 sticks labelled "v5.2". Currently, I am running my system with two sticks of each. However, as I said, Tiber's system won't even start with one stick in now.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Ok. I posted before your last post so didn't know that you cannot even startup with 1 stick of RAM. Was the CPU overclocked?

LCD post CPU INIT is CPU initializing, it should pass away under a second. If not, your CPU or motherboard is errorsome. Do the fans spin? If not it's your motherboard. Check to make sure you have the 4-pin or 8-pin cpu power connector properly plugged in, if loose or faulty it could throw that error.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, the CPU was not overclocked. Yes, the fans all spin properly like they should. All the power plugs are in securely - the system has been running fine for months.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
3,450 Posts
Thanks guys.
Indoril is testing the CPU in another mobo he has later today. I've tried clearing the CMOS and booting with one stick and it worked once. I then tried adding a second stick (So I would be back where I started) then it refused to boot and no amount of CMOS clearing has gotten it to boot again.

my vote goes to dead mobo
I think you may be right. :rolleyes:
At least it's still under warranty.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
3,450 Posts
The CPU checks out fine, i'm just going to put it down as a dead mobo unless anyone has any further thoughts.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the help, guys. Since the CPU tested fine, I'm also placing my money on the motherboard. If anyone has any further suggestions, let us know - otherwise we'll RMA the motherboard ASAP (Crysis and Forged Alliance await :grin: :laugh:).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.