Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Well when I first ordered my barebones system back in June and started to put the system together it had 4GB of PC6400 800mhz DDR2 Kingston ram pre-installed.

Basically when I first got the system all I did was install the DRIVES and re-format my HDD with a fresh copy of WinXP Home 32bit SP3. I never even touched the RAM or any other component. The first day the system ran stable, However I only ran it long enough to install all new drivers and other programs and played maybe 30mins of a game. So the first day I only ran it about 2 hours max. At that point I went to bed and did not touch the system again.

The second day however I started to boot the system and maybe 1 minute or so after booting into windows I got a BSOD. I booted up a few more times and kept on getting BSODS. Eventually I got booted up stable enough to run. Somebody suggested at this point that I run MEMTEST. I downloaded and burned this to a disk. Rebooted and ran the test. Sure enough only a few minutes into the test it came up with errors. I then turned off the system and removed the RAM in the second slot. I rebooted with MEMTEST and ran the test. I got 2 passes before I turned it off again. I then removed the RAM in the first slot and replaced it with the RAM that was originally in the second slot. Sure enough again after only a few minutes into the test I got a BUNCH! of errors. I yet again replaced the RAM that was originally in the first slot and ran the test again with another pass.

What does this mean exactly? Did they send me a corrupt stick of RAM out of the box? Or could it have been effected by the fact that I was using 4GB of ram on 32bit system that could have damaged it?

I just started thinking about this recently so this is why it is a delayed question. Really just curious if that could have been why the RAM was damaged.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
4GB of RAM is not doing any damage. If the RAM is the cause of the BSOD's then it is because it's faulty.
If you ran MemTest per instructions and it showed errorrs then your RAM is faulty.

PC Specs?
Custom Built-Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-Graphics-PSU.
What Error Codes do you see on the BSOD?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
4GB of RAM is not doing any damage. If the RAM is the cause of the BSOD's then it is because it's faulty.
If you ran MemTest per instructions and it showed errorrs then your RAM is faulty.

PC Specs?
Custom Built-Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-Graphics-PSU.
What Error Codes do you see on the BSOD?
Ok I didn't think so I was just trying to cover all the bases. Because I had planned to just buy a new 4GB set of Corsair PC6400 ram and I wanted to be sure that the 32bit system not utilizing all 4gb was not an issue.

PC is custom built:

Motherboard: MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum -> Originally an ECS A780GM-A
RAM: PC6400 DDR2 800mhz Kingston -> 2gb now originally 4gb
PSU: Corsair 650TX -> Originally 450w Generic **** Psu(okia)
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 BE 2.7GHZ
GFX: Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 512mb -> Originally was using onboard, installed the HD 4850 after getting the PSU.

I don't know what the Error codes were. I have had the other stick of ram out of the system since july. I could reinstall it and see what happens.

My assumption since the time I originally bought this "Barebones" system was that they had sent one faulty stick of ram. Since I didn't want to tear down the system and RMA it I just let it go. They wanted me to send back the entire system.

Actually the system has been nightmare since I got it. The PCI-E slot went bad on the ECS mobo(not sure what it was but it wont respond) so I had to replace that. The only components I am even using now since I bought the barebones back in july is the 1 stick of ram and the CPU.

I hope the original question wasn't too stupid, it just kind of slipped into my head and I thought I would make sure that wasn't the case.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm, Ati on nvidia causing problems? I asked on this forum somewhere about that before I even bought the motherboard but I think I never got a response. But I havn't any issues with that so far.

Anyways when the BSODS began occurring(back in july when I removed the 2nd stick of ram they stopped) I had an AMD motherboard and no video card at the time.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
As you have found, Prebuilt PC's commonly use cheap low quality parts (ECS-MSI-Okia) to reduce costs and make the package seem like a good deal. Your original purchase price has probably has increased considerably replacing those low quality parts with reliable ones.
OCZ-G.Skill-Corsair are good quality performance RAM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.