Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my first question is What is the NTDLR error, why and how does it happenen.

my second question is how can i go about preventing NTDLR error

my third question is how do i safeguard my computer from crashes, would cleaning my registry do more harm then good?

my final question is what is the best firewall and spyware remover i could use to safeguard my computer.

ANY tips would be awsome. I hope others can also use this information. thank you.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Here is the Microsoft solution... it's designed for Windows 2000, but as we all know, Windows 2000 and Windows XP are quite similar (at least in this respect).

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318728

What were you doing prior to this error occuring? Copying a lot of files? Installing a new OS? Adding any software/hardware?

If you are a novice, I wouldn't reccomend tooling with the registry beyond using a very simple, automated registry cleanup tool. The registry is a complex beast that should only be manually edited by pros (and always after being backed up).

If you are looking for the best protection for the last amount of money, I would rely on the built-in Windows Firewall in SP2 and Microsoft AntiSpyware. Now, with that said, I would also reccomend a hardware firewall (whether seperate or built into a router) that provides a second layer of defense. A manual scan now and then with AdAware and Spybot will keep you spyware free. The final reccomendation with regards to spyware (if you are seeing heavy infection repeatedly) is to switch to Mozilla Firefox. Not all pages work perfectly, as not all developers test using Firefox and non-IE browsers, but for the most part it works great!

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
As a word of caution, FireFox doesn't make you completely safe. As long as something is designed to go through port 80 it probably will no matter what browser you have.

Double firewalls don't really help unless you're very prone to attacks. They function essentially the same way so it's just redundant.

·
Registered
38 Posts
ebackhus said:
As a word of caution, FireFox doesn't make you completely safe. As long as something is designed to go through port 80 it probably will no matter what browser you have.

Double firewalls don't really help unless you're very prone to attacks. They function essentially the same way so it's just redundant.
although firefox may not make you completely safe, it does protect in term of not runnign activex scripts and other such things that Internet Explorer uses. its not meant to be a firewall to protect you from all invasion attempts, but it does reduce some points of weak security in IE

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
when i got the NTDLR error was FTPing alot of files for backup (about 30 gigs :sayyes: )

I am using registry mechanic to clean my registry. Do you guys think that registry mechanic is a good choice? I am using ad-aware to clean spyware but they stop giving updates. would you recommend me switching to spybot? and my dad purchased Zone Alarm (i believe its version 5.0) should i use that instead of Windows Firewall?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just a comment on the NTDLR error, I was FTPing from a secondary drive to another secondary drive whioch are both 80 gb.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
keep adaware and spybot [update spybot before using]
registry mechanic is pretty good.
[why the handle scoliosis?]

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
if its my name you ask. I dunno its just my ingame nickname when i played Halo 2 on XBC :sayyes: :laugh: :laugh: :sayyes:

1 final question. I suffered a NTDLR error on one of my comps a week ago. Before i got the error i transfered like 30 bg from a secondary drive to another secondary drive. Nothing was being put on or coming from the primary harddrives. Could this of caused a crash? if so what should be the limit i should put on amout i can tansfer at a time. any suggestions?

EDIT: You say registry mechanic is pretty good. In ur opinion what is the best registry cleaner out there as far as programs go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.