Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hell-0,
I have 4 gigs physically installed on my mobo. 4 1 gig sticks, all 4 the same everything. Tho it register's as only 3.25 under system properties, but 4.96 under system info.
What gives? Are the new sticks actually bad? I've never seen this happen. Any one have a idea?

Thanks in advance! :pray:

·
Team Manager , Articles Team
11,900 Posts
Hello jaBoO, Welcome to TSF! :wave:

Another reason for you 'missing' RAM, is that your on-board graphics usually takes anywhere from about 64Mb to 128Mb from the total installed RAM.
Furthermore, not all RAM sticks are 100% accurate, as they allow a + or - percentage factor in the manufacture.
Hope this explanation helps.

Kind Regards,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys and the Welcome.
I do have a 64 bit processer, tho most the app's and game I use don't support 64 bit. Might have to look into that more.
Also, I don't have onboard video. I use a evida geforce 7950 gt 512mb.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
32 bit Windows will not see any more than that to use all of the 4Gb you need a 64 bit operating system,
Okay, not calling you a lier or anything, tho I went investigating once you stated that.
From MS themselves, they do "claim" 4gb memory support.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/facts/top10.mspx
So I do wonder if somewhere, somehow, something is hoggin'.
The quest continues.
Thanks again! :pray:

·
Administrator, Team Manager, Gaming, Team Manager,
54,106 Posts
Okay, not calling you a lier or anything, tho I went investigating once you stated that.
From MS themselves, they do "claim" 4gb memory support.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/facts/top10.mspx
So I do wonder if somewhere, somehow, something is hoggin'.
The quest continues.
Thanks again! :pray:
The link you gave is to XP Pro 64 bit operating system is that what you have? Just because the processor is 64bit does not mean the operating system is(windows). Run system info and check which version you have
and post please.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
7,738 Posts
The link you gave is to XP Pro 64 bit operating system is that what you have? Just because the processor is 64bit does not mean the operating system is(windows). Run system info and check which version you have
and post please.
Everyone seemed right on the money, but this is what I bet your problem is. Windows XP 32bit will only support a MAX of 4GB, including your video ram (512MB). So your MAX amount of ram will be around 3.5GB, and then I believe you would have to factor in your AGP aperature size also.

If you upgraded to Windows 64bit you would be able to be able to utilize all 4 gigs of your ram.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Everyone seemed right on the money, but this is what I bet your problem is. Windows XP 32bit will only support a MAX of 4GB, including your video ram (512MB). So your MAX amount of ram will be around 3.5GB, and then I believe you would have to factor in your AGP aperature size also.

If you upgraded to Windows 64bit you would be able to be able to utilize all 4 gigs of your ram.
I have the same problem but your answer confuses me.
I have Win XP Pro 32 bit with a E6850 pentium processor.
I have 4 identical one gig corsair XMS ram chips. I also have a EVGA 8850 Nvidea 512mb video card. I am only seeing 3.25 inside windows (my computer icon, right click and go in to properties).
According to your above statement, win xp 32 bit can see 4 gigs.
after you add up my ram on the video card and 4 gigs system memory, I should see 4 gigs (max windows 32 bit recognizes)
What am I missing here?

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
7,738 Posts
It factors in your video ram to that 4GB equation...

E.G.

4GB Max - 512MB video ram = 3.5GB Max system ram

On top of that you will also have to factor in your AGP aperture size to the equation. In short, you will never be able to use the full 4GB unless you could run without a video card, or you upgrade to a 64bit operating system.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
THe math is a bit to much to figure it out and put it here but the 4 Gib that you have is actually all there and being seen, the problem is that what is shown in one view is figured out one way and shown another way for example one kilobyte = 1024 bytes but is shown as 1 Kb it does not show the other 24 bytes. It all figures out correctly and if you want something different start using windows xp pro 64-bit version as an upgrade it is only a small investment.

The amount that you have is really there just shown differently.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.