Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I've noticed that over the last few weeks my space has been decreasing even though I havent done anything to increase it (i.e. downloaded files, installed programs etc)
I run CCleaner almost every day to clear all the junk from my computer, but the space still keeps decreasing. Im afraid that soon i wont have any space left at all.
I decided to manually look where those missing gigs are located and it turned out that its in the hidden folder called Local Settings. When I rightclick it and select Properties it says 36GB and when i open it and select all the files (including the hidden ones) the total amounts to just 25 MB (megabytes not gigabytes). So where are those 36 GB? How do I delete them off my pc..

ANy help is much appreciated...

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Does the folder relate to Google Desktop by any chance? If not, what is the name of the folder please?

With regards to the full amount not showing, you may need to uncheck the option to hide protected operating system files in Tools -> Folder Options -> View.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx a lot Ginderman :)
The lost space was located in the Temporary Internet Files under this directory: C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxx\Local Settings
Can I ask one more question:
a) why i could not see that folder myself in the Local Settings, despite me unchecking "Do not show hidden files and folders" checkbox... and...
b) why non of the other cleaners i used got rid of that junk? I though ccleaner was supposed to do that. Also Windows Disk Cleanup failed to clean it up.

P.S. Dont know if it has anything to do with antyhing, but i never experienced these "lost gigs" prior to installing ccleaner...

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Thanx a lot Ginderman :)
The lost space was located in the Temporary Internet Files under this directory: C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxx\Local Settings

Can I ask one more question:
a) why i could not see that folder myself in the Local Settings, despite me unchecking "Do not show hidden files and folders" checkbox... and...

b) why non of the other cleaners i used got rid of that junk? I though ccleaner was supposed to do that. Also Windows Disk Cleanup failed to clean it up.

P.S. Dont know if it has anything to do with antyhing, but i never experienced these "lost gigs" prior to installing ccleaner...
As stated above:
With regards to the full amount not showing, you may need to uncheck the option to hide protected operating system files in Tools -> Folder Options -> View.

The files themself may be locked by other processes which may explain why ccleaner is unable to remove them. Download and install a freeware program called Unlocker. Once installed, follow the steps above to show protected operating system files then go into the Temp Internet Files folder and locate one of the files which is taking up the space, right click it and select 'Unlocker' from the context menu. Hopefully, this will show what processes are locking those files so we may be able to work out why they're there. Also, please include some of the file names too as that may help aswell. You can use Unlocker to remove those files but I don't recommend that at present, just incase you need them...it's best to find out what they are and why they're there first :smile:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, thanx for the explanation... The first time I thought you meant to uncheck the Do not show hidden files and folders, which i already did as pointed in my op... But after i had a second look at it, ive noticed this option too. So thanx. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.