Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all i recently burned some DVD's with my NEC 3550 writer. I then tried to access some of them but none was readable. At first i thought they were just badly written but i realised that my drive wont recognise any DVD!!! I tried movies,games,my dvds etc etc NOTHING WORKED. Cd's would be recognised normally though.
Then i thought i should try using them on my Windows Vista partition.
KABOOM!!! Everything worked perfectly.
What could be the problem?
I tried several other firmwares,i tried changing the bisetting using Nero CD/DVD Speed,nothing worked.
Is something messed up in my XP?

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
It sounds like you don't have the drivers, try a system restore to when you were able to burn the DVDs, that should get back your driver.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But i dont wanna burn DVDs i just wanna read them!!
As for the "restore" part NO WAY for me,i dont want to ruin my pc

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
You won't loose any data with a system restore, it will just restore the drivers. A generic Windows driver might be preventing you from readind DVDs, and doing a system restore will restore the drivers that will allow you to read DVDs.

Type this in the Run... box.
Code:
%SystemRoot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I willingly have disabled system restore as every time i have used it,it gave me trouble.
I think it is only useful to restore only after installin a bad program. If you restore like 3 months before u may have trouble.
Isnt there any workaround for this problem? I tried re-installing the device but didnt work.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Listen to that:
I did a fresh install on windows xp and it still can't read DVDs.
On Vista it still can!!!!!!
***?
Very strange,what the h... am i supposed to do now?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I cannot understand what codecs have to do with this.
I said it cannot recognise some DVDs-they appear as blank cds.
It could be any type of DVD,a movie,a data DVD,DVDs from magazines etc etc

·
Registered
145 Posts
erm... drivers id say.. but yeah you already checked.. since it sounds like your running 2 difffrent OS's on the same computer, maby some programs on xp are messing with your drive? what programs are on xp that are not on vista? which ones do you think could interfere with the drive? try messing with the settings of those programs.. i dunno im no expert, just tossing idias

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.