Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yeah i'm working on a personal project over the summer before uni starts again. But i'm having several thoughts in my head and i'm trying to figure out how to best implament them.

1st: Using CSS for the mouseover thing. I want to try to keep pretty much everything on the pages (style etc) in CSS including changing images on mouseover, its just a nice aesthetic thing i like. Normally i'd do this in javascript but it just looks... clumpy on the code, so i wanted to try it in CSS instead, but i'm having trouble finding anything on it. It'd be for several buttons per page if that'd make a difference.

2nd: i'm fairly sure the answer here is yes but. I'm planning on making the website easy to update at some point, (so i don't have to mess with all the code) so i was planning on making a kind of "update control panel" or something. From what i can tell the best approach is Php and Mysql. However right now i know neither, anywya, would it be simple enough to start off with the basic, edit via html, and implaments a php alternative at a later stage, or would that just end up messy.

3rd: know any good books to learn php from?

·
Registered
312 Posts
1st: Using CSS for the mouseover thing. I want to try to keep pretty much everything on the pages (style etc) in CSS including changing images on mouseover, its just a nice aesthetic thing i like. Normally i'd do this in javascript but it just looks... clumpy on the code, so i wanted to try it in CSS instead, but i'm having trouble finding anything on it. It'd be for several buttons per page if that'd make a difference.
Here are a few links for you in regards to replacing the mouseover javascript effect with css :hover. First link is how I have my site setup, but by doing a search in Google you can find different ways to accomplish this. Preloading (if needed) can also be accomplished with css and the second link below shows a great way to preload images.

Roll Over, Rollovers -- CSS Style

Preload Images with CSS

2nd: i'm fairly sure the answer here is yes but. I'm planning on making the website easy to update at some point, (so i don't have to mess with all the code) so i was planning on making a kind of "update control panel" or something. From what i can tell the best approach is Php and Mysql. However right now i know neither, anywya, would it be simple enough to start off with the basic, edit via html, and implaments a php alternative at a later stage, or would that just end up messy.
I am learning PHP right now so I may not be the best one to answer this, but from what I see so far it shouldn't be tough to take the next step at a later date. You will still need the xhtml within the php files to render a page anyways. :4-dontkno I'm sure Redcore could give a better answer to this question.

3rd: know any good books to learn php from?
Need to get some reading myself. What I can recommend are a just a few sites out of many that have php tutorials.

W3Schools

Htmlite

PHP.net

Web Design Library

It goes on and on :grin:

Good luck and keep us updated with how the site is progressing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.