Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Recently, there was a Windows Recovery virus on my PC, which I removed by installing and running the RKill program (following advice I found online). After that, I could not use the 3Connect program to connect to the internet: when I tried, I got an error message saying 'The connection attempt failed. Please make sure your device is connected to your computer and that your settings are correct. Would you like to attempt to connect again now?' It still would not connect even after I'd checked that the dongle was plugged in and working, etc etc, and once open, the 3Connect program could only be closed by ending it via the task manager.

I found that I could connect without the 3Connect program, by selecting Start => Connect to => and then choosing '3Connect Dial-up connection'. This connects via my 3 wireless dongle, and not via a dial-up, as the description suggests. My problem now is that the connection is unreliable: clicking on the taskbar icon featuring two little computer screens, one behind the other (sorry, I don't know what it's called!) sometimes shows 'Access: Local and internet' but sometimes 'Access: Local only'.

After searching for solutions online, I tried to resolve the problem using Microsoft's 'Fix it' program (found at Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers). This failed, so I tried to fix it manually following the steps described on the same webpage. The problem is that the manual solution requires locating the registry subkey 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}' - and my computer's registry seems to have no entry called {GUID}. Searching the registry (using the CTRL+F function) didn't find it anywhere else either.

If anyone has any suggestions for how to resolve the problem I'd be very grateful!

Rebecca.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.